Teaching abstinence?

I have a question for the parents who only teach abstinence and would refuse to even think about giving them birth control b/c that would encourage them to have sex.

Did you have sex before you got married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• nope, I didn't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I had sex before marriage. When it comes to teens, they are going to have sex if they want to. I think its best to teach about all options. They will think their parents would be so mad if they told them they had sex, that they dont tell them and dont know how to protect themselves because no one taught them about it, and thats how teen pregnancies happen.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I did it and I have no doubt that my kids will too. I think that if I forbid them from it, it will just make them hide and be stupid about it. Instead, we push that she should wait for someone she knows she loves and to be smart and use protection. Don't wanna think about my kids having ex, but I would rather they act like adults about it.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 12:22 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Having sex, not ex... lol.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 12:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• no,I had it at 27 when I married man of my dreams-why to make urself an object of pleasure for others
    A11

Answer by A11 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm all for teaching abstinence but I think they need to know their options if they do have sex. I mean you can't be with your kids 24/7, they are going to do what they want no matter what you think. As a parent I think the least I can do is arm my kids with as much knowledge as possible so they can make a smart decision about sex.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i did but it was with my dh to be lol and i was 24
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Teaching abstience is good but along with that protection from STD's, pregnancy and the consequences of having sex also have to be taught. A friend of mine refused to teach her kids anything but abstience and opted her kids out of health class. One of her kids got pregnant and she can't understand why, because "MY kids don't know anything about sex." DUH!!!!! Teens need EDUCATION and teaching about protection, etc does NOT mean a teen is going to go out and have sex.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I did before I got married. To the man I married, but still. I agree that you should teach all options. Teenagers are going to make mistakes, don't scare them into hiding it. My niece, 17, is in a parenting class at her school. The class is mainly made up of girls, with 2 or so guys. They invited other guys into the classroom and asked them questions about sex and relationships. She was in aw when all like 8 of the guys who came in said they've been sexually involved at 16-18 years old. It's going to happen to many teenagers. Just teach that abstaining from sex is the best option for everyone. But if it does happens, there are other ways to be safe.
    KileighR

Answer by KileighR at 9:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Please, for the sake of your children, do some research before insisting on abstinence only education. On average, children taught this have higher rates of STDs and pregnancy, and have sex earlier, than children taught about protecting themselves.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011