Unusual potty training question....

My three and half year old is potty trained for the most part. When he has to pee he uses the bathroom on his own, lifts the seats, flushes, and washes his hands. No problem. He even wakes up out of his sleep to go, never has night accidents. Number two, he likes to announce lol, but he goes in to bathroom himself, uses his stool, sits on the big potty and will flush and wash his hands. But not before calling me in to wipe. There are many local programs I'd like to get him involved in that require him to be "totally potty trained". I bought flushable wipes and tried getting him to do this himself. He says it's gross, I agree, lol. Any tips on how to tackle this part of potty training and he is old enough to be doing this himself right?

Johnathonsmomy

Asked by Johnathonsmomy at 2:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wiping can be difficult for most kids to adjust to, just keep trying what you are doing. As for being completely potty trained he is.. him needing help wiping after he goes would not exclude him from those programs :-).
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• i agree with the PP my stepsister still had my stepmom wipe her at age 6 whichh i think it spoiled but thats a differnt topic lol. try making him do it when he calls you in.
    Anonymous

• It's gross to wipe none of us want to stick our hands back there, but he needs to learn sooner or later, it sounds more like he knows how just doesn't want to. Push him to wipe himself, don't give into him if you continue to wipe now you'll be doing it when he is 4 then 5 then 6 because it's always going to be gross for him. Don't give him a choice make him wipe himself.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• im teaching my 4 yr old to wipe himself, what a messy job. practice makes perfect.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would try to stay out of bathroom when its time to wipe and when he calls u just call from other that u are "busy" and the fill in the blank... like cooking our talking to daddy etc. and ask him to try to do it himself. it might work.
    mommysince2004

Answer by mommysince2004 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Just keep it up, he will get the hang of it. Make sure he is completely done before wiping so it is not very messy. Help him see how much paper or how many wipes to get, and help show him how to reach back there with your help, and then check to see if the paper is dirty. if it is, repeat.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I'm trying to get my son to do it too. I just tell him to try when I go in there... if I don't go in, he'll just pull his pants up then say he did it, so I have to be sure to go in and watch him! He's getting a little better, so hopefully with practice he'll get it down soon!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Try a cute little product called ' can do'. It makes flushable wet wipes and pump soap in cute packaging that made my son really want it. Maybe your little one will find it more appealing.

Or, try cloth 'family wipes'. Little cloths that can be used, washed , and re-used. they come in such cute fabrics he may be more eager to try them. If your not familiar with family wipes, just google it and you'll get tons of responses.
    paxsonsmom

Answer by paxsonsmom at 1:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i am also trying to do this with my 5 yearold. He is in school and it hasnt come up that he doesnt wipe himself. my guess is he just doesnt go at school. He knows he is supposed to do it himself. It is sooo messy i think i do it for him for that reason. I am gonna try those wipes again though becasue those seem to help the little ones with the messy factor.
    SparklesOfAmber

Answer by SparklesOfAmber at 9:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I have found with my kids, that they won't poop unless they are at home. My daughter started preschool (where she needed to be fully potty trained) at 3 and she is now 5. She has NEVER pooped at school. Now my son is 3, he just started at the same preschool, and same thing, he has never pooped at school. He holds it until he gets home (if he has to go). All of my friends say the same thing. So I would just sign him up for those things you want him to do and not worry about it. I think the main thing is that they want the little ones to be able to tell the "teacher" that they need to go potty, and that they can go in and do it without any help. Chances are so slim that they will need to poop, but I'm sure someone could help out if they did need to.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2008