Looking at the Lifetime ad...

I see depictions of women screaming. Did you scream during labor?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, I sure didn't. I didn't feel a need to, plus I wanted to use all my energy for pushing..even though I didn't push for long. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Oh yes! With both my girls every one in the hospital knew I was there... Actually with DD#2, I was screaming in the car on the way to the hospital ( unusually fast labor of 2hrs,with a 45 min drive to the hospital mind you...) and my husband had the guts to ask "Does that really help?" I so wanted to shove him out on the highway... I hear a lot of women don't scream, but I just really could not help it, I go for natural labors (although it didn't happen with DD#1, but I did labor un-medicated for 4 hours) and always felt the urge to "vocalize" They say you should try to remain calm and reserve energy, so if you can, get by without it. But don't feel ashamed if you do make some noise. :)
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• nope...then again i had one of those rare naturally painless labors. i did yell when they were doing my stitches though
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Oh yes, not ashamed at all either! It hurt!
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 1:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I did, I swore and moaned and did a lot of those things. I'm sure I was freaking out the other moms! However, I was having back labor, and my son's position was especially weird. His head was tilted, and the way his cord was wrapped around his torso, we ended up with an emergency c-section. Not all women scream. Most of the births I've attended, including ones without pain medication, have not involved screamig, even while pushing. Try not to worry yourself, or freak yourself out! Arm yourself with knowledge, be flexible (you and the baby may have very different birth plans; I know DS had something totally different in mind for me!), and get lots of support! A doula can be wonderful!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2011