question for moms with high school seniors

i know semior year can be the most expensive year

how much would you say you spent so far on your child's senior year?
how much more would spend my the end of the year?

my aunt is a single parent so me and a couple of other family members or helping her out with her daughter that's a senior she gets straight A"S AND is the honor roll she helps her mom,and she has never been in trouble in high school so that's why i don't mind helping out but boy is it expensive....so far me alone has spent $1,300.00
and that only paid for her:
cheer leading (fees,uniform,competitions,accessories,bus rides to and from the games etc)
her senior cruise to Mexico
and her year book

when my daughters get in high school i think im going to put up money every month starting there freshman year just to be on the safe side.....

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 1:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't have a kid in high school yet, (or any school for that matter...lol) But I graduated in '07, and I gotta say that's pretty ridiculous. I was a good kid and all and did a few activities, but my family never spent that kind of money on me. I can remember having all kinds of folks coming through though trying to sell us stuff, keychains, t shirts pic frames, all kinds of crap, that you think you "need" to remember you senior year etc. And the thing is, its just stuff that will end up in your attic. I know that you have to pay for some stuff, but really I would not go over board...
    As far as a cruise to Mexico...wow.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 1:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• @nkkk07 i know right i mean i had it to give so it wasnt a big i actual have a lot of money in my savings left over from christmas because i did really well on my spending this year but it is ridiculous
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I bought senior pics, cap/gown/invitations, class ring, yearbook, page in the yearbook ~ they did their own fundraising for their trip
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 1:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I graduated in 06 and my mom told me I have $500 at the begining of the year. I could use it for whatever I wanted but anything after that I had to pay for. I was lucky cause I went to a school gave a list a the begining of the year of everything you could do as a senior and what it costs. I spent $75 on my yearbook, $50 for my cap and gown rental $125 for my class ring, $200 for band and $50 for the senior night. I also went on the band trip that was $300 (it was to Disney World and we live in Fl) and I paid for that myself. I thought it was very smart what my mom did. I had some friends whose parents paid thousands of dollars for senior year because they did everything and I think I had a better senior year then any of them.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Senior Cruise - not necessary and some schools do not offer Senior trips.

Cheerleading - extra curricular that shouldn't be included in what you are figuring for Senior Fees as it is something she would have done Senior or not.
    Necessary Senior Fees - If you don't already have it - Cap and Gown, and then the Tassel/Cords....that is ALL that is NECESSARY for senior year.
    Optional Senior Fees - Senior Pictures, Cap/Gown Photos, and Announcements.
    Year books are bought every year and shouldn't cost more for a senior.
    Yearbook page - optional.
    Class Ring is usually bought either at the end of the Soph. or Jr. year.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• A cruise to Mexico is an OPTION, one that my child would NOT be going. The yearbook, cap and gown, etc are all necessary. You cannot attend graduation without the cap and gown and a yearbook is a great way to remember high school. You can get Senior pics at JcPenney or Portrait Innovations for really inexpensive. NO high school in my area has a senior trip, especially to a foreign country. My sons high school goes camping for 5 days and the school pays for most of that trip and fundraising pays the rest.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• @tyfry7496 really were do you live at?almost every high school i know takes about 3 trips
    LABELmeCUTE

Comment by LABELmeCUTE (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• College applications run $50-100 each. Each AP exam costs $87

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2011