Why do people assume that those in the military are drunks?

My hubby was in the military for years and yes he had his fair share of alcohol, mostly when deployed , but he is not a drunk...when he was home ..he might have a beer every once in awhile...but I had more then one person ask..why do military ppl drink so much? I mean seriously.?

justalady774

Asked by justalady774 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• I have never heard this. Thanks to all our soldiers and military, never heard of drunks?
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think its due to a problem they had about 5 or 6 years ago. remember when a military member could drink at 18 in a gentlemens club and some off base ones? well 5 or 6 years ago may have been longer a marine just out of basic got really bad alchole poisoning his fault for not watching his intack i know but he was hospitalized and the family tryed to so the government for allowing them to drink under age. i dont know if they one fully but after ward the age changed. yet many still drink. that or there are lots of story's about men and women getting back from war and becoming alcoholics due to post par tom depression other whys know as shell shock... my friend went thru this... manly i think its just the major democrats no offense to those who are making a big deal out of nothing lol
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 3:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• never heard that either
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• its a soldier's right thing, its mostly expected, it numbs some of the feeling of nerves from duties, ..........My son was served under 21 yrs old in different states just cause he wore the uniform,...it can become a bad habit for some though but when wearing any military uniform its kinda like "don't ask, Don't tell...policy", they lay thier lives on th e line for our freedoms,............-Just like anyone else though there should be a cut off point when getting drunk.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 4:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Having both a brother and an ex in the Army, I would have to say that the military has more then it's fair share of drunks. HOWEVER, so would any other place that has a lot of single young men.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm not familiar with this stereotype.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yeah, and the corporate world doesn't? It's a nice stereotype, huh? Goes along with the 'they all cheat' one. Mine doesn't. He's doesn't drink very often either. Once every few months, and never at home unless someone is over. Which is next to never. Not all guys are like him though. But, to put it all on the military is ridiculous.
    Flip side is, a vast majority do not know how to handle PTSD, or have someone that can HELP them handle it. So, what are they going to do? In a time like now? The military spends lots of money on research on PTSD, the effects, and ways to combat it. But soldiers still fall through the cracks.
    I think generally those that want to throw around nasty comments like 'the military is all full of alcoholics' either don't have any affiliation to the military or are just ignorant asshats. Sorry.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The same reason some women on here ASSume that people go into the military because they are stupid and/or can't get a job anywhere else.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• HAHA you clearly dont know anything about the single soliders in the barracks. They pretty much drink whenever they dont have to work the next morning , they'll drink in the barracks, go out on weekends, even on holidays, you name it. Atleast thats how it is here in Germany. My husband is in the army and he is friends with alot of the single guys. We even go out from time to time drinking with them only because thats the only way my husband gets to spend time with them. Even some of the married couples without kids go out drinking often.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• But the soldiers with familys are normally not drunks. It just the single soldiers giving them all the bad reputation.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2011