Warning Label on formula?

Do you believe formula should have a label on the can stating that it does not meet the best nutrition for your child that natural breast milk does?

I am not saying yes or no, just popped in my head and thought it was a good debatable question. :D

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• They already put on formula labels and commercials that breast is best.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• no due to the fact breast feeding is not right for every mom or child. my friend was allergic to breast milk as a child know this is like a .1% chance that will happen but you see the point
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 2:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No. that would be like saying they should post a warning on ground chuck or sirloin saying that it's not as good for you as lean ground beef. Or froot loops saying it's not as good for you as fiber one.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think they should put warning labels on people.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• They put "Breast is Best" on the formula can.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Technically they are supposed to, as per WHO code. We're one of the only countries that violates it more often than not. Not following it when '.1' percent of babies might be allergic to it - which is highly unlikely - would be silly at best. Especiailly considering that the risks of a compromised gut are much higher (an infant's stomach is considered 'perfect' until something other than breastmilk - which is designed for it - is introduced).

It hurts noone to follow WHO code to have it.. except for possibly the formula companies. I wouldn't worry about them. They're great at making money and marketing - even to the detriment of health. Think donating formula to people in 3rd world countries when not providing safe water as well.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 9:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• They need a label that says what things formula does not provide. Breast is Best is vague.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 9:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Oye Vey! Unless you just crawled out from under a rock then you have been bombarded with "Breast is best" until it hurts your ears! I Cannot imagine how the rest of us bottle fed babies were able to survive as long as we have. NO,  Formula does NOT need a label & your kid won't die if you feed them formula, believe it or not!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't see how it hurts and following the WHO policies is not a horrible thing in trerms of information. It makes me wonder what formula producers want to hide. Why they feel threatend. I chose to formula feed for a variety of factors, took time to research and decide which formula to try, and then came up with what was best. But the simple truth is there has to be an active grass roots campaign because the aggressive marketing of formula manufacturing is hurting children. It is one thing to have options it is another thing to have one side over loading new parents with baby bags filled with a free product that may or not be the best one for that child. Or formula companies trying to, as of late, promoting how unhealthy "research" has shown breast milk to be compared to formula fed babies. A lable on a can is a small microscopic step to leveling the playing field. One side wants your money the other just health.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• And no one has died? Tell that to all the grieving mothers in Africa. Or the kids in the US exposed to excessive lead from the cans. Or the kids in China who in fact did die from drinking formula. Or all the formula recalled a few years ago for the same reason kids died in China.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2011