What temperature do you take your child in to the ER?

When is it time to bring your child to the ER? 101, 103,104?

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 2:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I recently asked the kids doc this question. Because my DD had a 103.7 and that was the highest I had seen for her and was sort of freaking out about it. I managed to bring it down with cold compresses, getting her to drink ice water and giving her Tylenol/Motrin. Anyway when I asked the doc he said it's not so much the number he worries about it's how the child is acting. He also said but at 105 he would recommend bring the child to the ER. That helped me a lot. I haven't yet experienced the children with high fevers acting any different then they normally do. Thank goodness but at least knowing what to do when they do have high fever plus looking for other signs helps. Oh, by the my way DD is 4 and DS is 2half
    VonneMomme

Answer by VonneMomme at 10:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• To me, just a fever is not an indication that a trip to the ER is warranted. There are other factors as well. If my child has a 104.5 fever, but is acting completely normal, I will give tylenol/motrin and wait a bit. BUT they could have a fever of 104.5 and have severe pain in the neck and I have taken them. In the same aspect, my one son had a fever of 102 but was not eating and drinking and was very lethargic and I took him.
    Fevers themselves are not the only indicator. You need to look at how they are behaving and other symptoms as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 104 regardless of my other comment on your other post. i think thats a bit too high to ignore. however i may give ibuprofen and if it didnt come down within an hour, id take her in....

i get freaked out with fevers and still remain calm only because my niece had a seizure from a high fever when she was 1 after she had a fever of 104

when i was 14 i had a 105 fever and started hallucinating.... and getting hives. turned out i had valley fever but it was very freaky.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't take mine until a high 104 low 105 range. I've read that fevers aren't really dangerous until they reach 107, but I guess it also depends on what age your child is. I feel like a 104 temperature in an infant would be much more serious than a 104 temperature in a 9 year old. We tend to make sure there is a lot of water or Gatorade in the house and we encourage hydration. We also keep cold compresses in the freezer. Hydration and cold compresses can help bring a fever done.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 3:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have never and will probably never take mine in for a fever. The child's behavior and symptoms are a better indicator. We had a child running a very low fever, but he was very lethargic, sobbing, clinging to us, and would no move his head. We went to the After Hours Clinic immediately. Sometimes our kids have had very high fevers but are playing like normal or just sitting and watching tv. The high fever isn't cause for alarm.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• At high 103 that does not go down with meds.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't necessarily go just by the temp. It also depends on other symptoms and how the child is acting. A fever is the body's was of getting rid of an infection. I would say that a base would be 103.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 105 that does not go down with meds or other mesures. Couse as others have said, other symptoms would be taken into consideration. But if a fever does not respond to meds or other measures it could be a sign of something such as meningitis.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• 105 & won't come down with tylenol or ibuprofen. Whenever I had the flu as a child, I always had a fever of 104.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2011