How old were your kids when they started bathing themselves?

My mom think that ds who just turned 6 can bathe himself completely, including shampooing. I know that he can't. I don't mind ds practicing but an adult needs to make sure he's cleaned well. Ds is still learning to tie his shoes and she thinks he can do a full bath!

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 3:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 9yo was 5 when she started bathing herself. when she first started she was missing ALOT. So, I washed her first, then I let her get the places I "missed". She loved the little competition and soon she got frustrated and said " Mommy, I don't need 2 baths, just let me wash myself, I can do it because you miss too many places". I watched her for the next few baths and she was doing a really good job. She loved beating mommy and even told DH that maybe he needs to keep an eye on mommy in the bath because mommy doesn't do too good. lol
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 2:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• my daughter is also 6..and she washes her own body...(i help her with her back) but when it comes to washing her hair, i have to do it..her hair is down to her bum..and theres noooooo way she could do it by herself..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My daughter started washing herself and doing her hair at age 6. Sometimes I need to help her with her hair but otherwise she does a good job :)
    Affirmation

Answer by Affirmation at 5:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i agree with pp's but everyone is different, try and let him be as independant as possible and you just jump in when you need to
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Mine are 5 and 6 years old. They wash their bodies on their own but they want me to wash their hair. I know I was around 9 before my grandmother stopped bathing me.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 6:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My kids were right around 5 when I stopped washing them. My 10 year old comes out of the shower not so clean once in a while and I just send him back in. I've suggested that if he doesn't get clean then I'll have to do it for him.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My son was 6 when he started bathing by himself.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and can do it by herself for the most part. She can shampoo her own hair but has problems knowing when it's all out. So many times she goes back in the tub so I can help her get the shampoo out. Haha. My twins, who are 6, have done it for a couple years. They all have pretty long hair.
    KileighR

Answer by KileighR at 9:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• about first second grade. I wanted to ma ke sure my children knew how to bath properly and so they didn't stink. My son still needs help but he is Autistic so from time to time we have to direct him.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011