Is there still a need for Black History Month? How about Women’s History Month, held in March, or even Hispanic Heritage Month, which begins Sept. 15?

I think you know what I think. Just wanted to know what you think. and please say why.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 7:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "Also, only a HANDFUL of people are "glamorized" during these month long celebrations. I would like to see "lesser known" individuals and their contributions to the respective months, honored/celebrated along side the more famous ones!"

Good point. I'm not a teacher, but if I were, I would give the following two assignments during Black History Month: 1. Research and write about an African American--but not the following people: MLK or any King family member, Barack or Michelle Obama, any AA rock or rap star, any AA basketball, baseball, football, or track & field star, any AA TV or movie actor/actress. I want people to know about "less famous" AAs.

2. Research and write about a WHITE person who participated in either the abolitionist movement or the civil rights movement. I'd hope my students would learn that white people are not "the enemy" through that assignment.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't have a problem with the HISTORICAL opportunities dedicated months provide, but unfortunately, they rarely delve into some of the NEGATIVE aspects associated with these months and those who were responsible. Also, only a HANDFUL of people are "glamorized" during these month long celebrations. I would like to see "lesser known" individuals and their contributions to the respective months, honored/celebrated along side the more famous ones!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think it's important to celebrate history and the people that made this country great everyday. I never learned anything about Women's History Month in my public school, in fact suffrage was something they skipped over completely. I was fortunate enough to have my Nana who was alive then to tell me about it. Unfortunately she has since passed on, but I will make sure that my children, my daughters especially, understand.

Lori, my children occasionally watch a few NickJr shows in the morning while I'm cleaning up from a particularly messy breakfast and the other morning there was a little five minute segment about one of the pilots of flight 93 for African American History Month. I didn't even know the man's name before that, but they had pictures of his time in the military and everything. My eldest two asked all sorts of questions about who he was and why flight 93 was important. It made a great impromptu lesson!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I like how our District approaches these things- we do a series of studies that deal with accomplishments over race- all races are included- we have Inventors, trendsetters, those that changed the world, those that broke barriers, poets and authors- the kids get the message that all races contribute without making race the central attribute in the person- we also study slavery, womens rights, equal rights, the Holocaust, etc... in the historical setting- I like it !
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Just teach history. It will all be taught without the segregation of classes, races, and genders.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes, I think it is important, especially in the schools, to expose children to all kinds of nationalities and races. Each one is unique and has its own history and traditions. Good teachers do not need to have a special holiday or nationally declared observances. They will be informed and teach it. Sometimes the curriculum doesn't always allow time to add the extras, but when it does, it is enlightening and definitely fun. I should know; I'm a retired teaching assistant. One year I was able to do "Christmas Around the World" with primary grade children. It proved to be well worth it. To really survive and be happy in today's world, everyone needs to be accepting, tolerant, and pro-active.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I agree with Lori and tina. I don't have an issue with anyone celebrating their heritage. It would be nice if the lesser known activist and philanthropists that work on behalf of any issue were recognized.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Do you see a compelling need to end it? If so what would that be?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• All kids are learning from black history month is that there's a black history month. They aren't suddenly interested in history for that month instead of ignoring it and considering it boring like they do for the other months. Same goes for any other theme month. It's a rare child who is remotely interested in history while they're still a child and the year their parent graduated high school feels like it was another century. They'd be better off to redo history curriculum to make it ALL relevant to kids so they actually have a reason to remember it. The hour episode of Who Do You Think You Are last night would've taught most kids more about black history than they'll ever bother to remember from a whole month of class time, because it was presented in a way that actually made it interesting. I can think of others that would do the same for women's/Jewish/hispanic/etc history, as well.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes and I think its important that [parents supplement what kids get in school....beyond slaves, Ruby Bridges , Rosa Parks and MLK...There is a rich history and schools only scratch the surface

I also think ALL history should be supplemented by parents,,,Our history is very complex and there isn't enough time in school to get it all

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2011