Question about taxes?

im a single unelpoyed mom. i receive child support. so when tax time comes do i still have to file that i get childsupport ..and if so do i get a refund

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

• You have to claim all income...whether or not you get a refund will depend on how much you made.
    thats_karma

Answer by thats_karma at 2:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• no - child support is not taxable.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 2:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yes you have to claim your child support, just like you have to claim your disability, even though neither of those get taxed they are still considered "income" and you have to report it.

And like the first poster said, you getting a refund depends on how much you have made this past year in comparison to how much you actually paid in taxes.

So really, we can't tell you yes or no on the "will I get a return", but definitely a yes on the "do I have to claim my child support".
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Child support is not considered income for tax purposes (nor is it reported). But if you get alimoney, that is taxable. Any refunds would be have nothing to do with childsupport since no taxes are paid on child support either by you or the person paying it. I'm an accountant, so I am familiar with the tax rules. Depending on the terms of the divorce, you may be able to claim the child as a dependent or file as "head of household" based on the child. IRS.gov has lots of information on their site to help with income tax return filings.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Ah, thank you, I was confusing the alimony with child support.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would definitely file because most likely you will get the 1000 child tax credit. This first year you might go to a tax professional so you make sure everything is done correctly and you can use this years paperwork as a model for next years.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2008