Have you ever done your child's homework?

ventingmom

Asked by ventingmom at 7:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes and no ... yes, b/c last week dd had a project and she did find the mammals pictures, wrote her own words (although my mom did write many of them out on a sep.piece of paper for her to copy) but I did make the title page at night while she was asleep... why? b/c she fell asleep as soon as she got home from school (almost everyday last week) and Thurs. she did not even wake back up.
    So on a gen. rule -- nope I help w/spelling, circle or mark what needs to be corrected etc. but don't DO it for them. But some of these projects full of art etc., yeah I don't feel too guilty filling in some pieces.... esp. after seeing some of the ones ds's classmates brought to school last year... NO WAY they did that. LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No, I help them with it, but I've never done it for them.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No, it was their responsiblitiy and they are not going to learn it if I do it for them. I was always around during homework time if they needed something explained.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No way! If you start it gets harder to break the habit. I might have helped cut out pictures for a project but my son had motor issues. He also hates art type projects.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• a lil bit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The only thing I have done is type things up for them. Once the paper is writen and it just needs to be typed I will do that if it is late at night. I have never actually done their homework for them. I will help them if they have questions and guide them the best way I can.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No. I will help them, and once they finish the homework I will go over it to see if any corrections to be made. For example when my first grade daughter has math worksheets she will do all the problems. Once she is finished I point out which ones need to be corrected. If she id doing her writing journal I look it over and point out any misspelled words. The homework is for the CHILD not the parent.
    unique_puzzle

Answer by unique_puzzle at 10:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No, I have enough of my own to complete. I HELP my son, but he does his own homework. I had a friend that did her sons homework so he would be on honor roll, well he is in high school now and his grades stink. Hmmm..could it be because he doesn't know how to do his own homework?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• ~*Nope*~... I learned the lesson from my mother, I asked herto help me, honestly wanted her to do it for me.. and she told me I would never "learn" it if I didn't do it myself! I do the same thing with my kids, encourage them that they are smart, they can do it, and have them do it... might help, but that is it... than again I am a teacher at heart, and we push intelligence in our home
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No. But for the moms (or dads, or whoever) that do their childs homework (my sister), the teacher knows, How can a child do so GREAT on homework but not understand the material in class or at test time?? Doing the work for them does them no favors but to teach them that school work doesn't matter.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 2:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011