Have you switched your older baby from whole milk to lactaid or soy ... and ....

Noticed a change for the better in their sleeping patterns? We have debated for my son's 16m life if he has an allergy or sensitivity to milk. He is allergic to many other foods, so much that when he even touches some of them he immediately breaks out in hives of varying degrees. Well, the milk issue is he isn't sleeping well at night, which is when he is drinking the majority of his milk. At nap he doesn't sleep more than an hour and a half. And night time he is so dead on with his patterns....down at 7:30, then awake between 10:30-11:30, where I change him and give him 3 oz of milk and put him back down. Then again around 3:30 he is up. Then again around 5-6, but he is then up for the day. Ocassionally he lays back down another hour.
I am exhausted, frustrated. The pediatrcian suggested to at least try soy or lactaid. And see if that helps with his ezcema, so it got me thinking and wondering about this too. Could the milk be giving him a stomach ache? Trying to let him CIO is a nightmare, and doesn't work. I have even not given him milk and changed him and rocked him and laid him down, but he is up again and again then too.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be aware that it could the milk sugar (lactose) or the milk protein (casein) that is impacting your child. For my DD, it was the casein. Also, you have to be very careful w/soy because it is an endocrine disruptor; I personally would not be giving it to my child.

With regards to eczema, yes, it could most definitely be dairy that is causing the breakouts. DD suffered from eczema from the time she was born - took awhile to finally get it under control and dairy was a HUGE culprit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm not a fan of the soy, neither is his dad, for that and other reasons. For a huge time in his infancy he was actually on goats milk. Then at a year we introduced whole milk. His eczema is not a constant thing, it's here and it's gone. It's in different spots, etc. We have TONS of allergies in my family. I had to drink goats milk until age 10, we actually had a goat. I still have to watch my intake of milk products. He also has wheat problems. I think the poor guys needs to only eat fresh foods.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2011