Soooo why are you lecturing me?

There's a woman in one of my groups who has a 14 month old and that's it and she is spouting out all her ideals on discipline and how to raise children, including telling me I'm wrong for ways I handle things with my 4 year old. Excuse me? I'm pretty sure when you reach 4 years old with your LO it may not be as black and white as you think it is when it comes to discipline. Why do people lecture on things they haven't even experienced themselves???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• because they have these ideas on what their life is GOING to be like.
    I feel the same way. I see a lot of parents on here who have these young kids and say "I will never...." or "I will..." and I almost laugh. Yes, I have a 20 month old, but I also have an 11 year old, a 23 year old and a 21 year old. I've been around this block a few times.
    I think until you are in that spot, you can only think of what you might do. You might get there and find it doesn't work.
    It's just a shame that others don't realize that parenting is not a cookie cutter job. Different parents need to find different styles and since kids all have different personalities, you need to adjust your parenting to that as well. Hopefully those diehard lecturers will figure that out before they screw up their children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Either they sincerely want to be helpful, or they want to feel important.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I know! She literally called me a piece of $hit because I've slapped my daughters hand before. After removing her and distracting her from electrical outlets I finally just slapped her hand once and never again did she go near it. I'm not necessarily against using corporal punishment but it is my last last last resort and thankfully I've only felt the need to use corporal punishmenta handful of times. Like darting out in a parking lot, I wanted her to know I meant business I'd rather her butt hurt once then to have her land in the hospital with a broken spine after being hit by a car.
    My son, a simple no and he's in tears and stops in his tracks and comes over to me to get hugs. Just with a no.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Do not volunteer information to people....that is my motto. If i didn't ask for your opinion or help and you decide to give it freely then don't be shocked by my reaction.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2011