any thoughts about letting a fall birthday child stay in preschool an extra year??

momagain27

Asked by momagain27 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldnt do it...Just let them go onto K with their friends
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• In my town the cut-off date for kindergarten is Sept 30. My daughter's birthday is Aug. 31 and there were times I regretted that I didn't hold her back. She is now a freshman in high school and doing very well. Some parents of children with borderline birthdays send their kids to a private kindergarten and then decide next year whether to redo kindergarten or send them to 1st grade depending on how they did the previous year. It's not just a question of doing the work their social skills need to be developed as well.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• By the way I live in NJ. Most of NJ is either Sept 30 or Oct 31 for kindergarten admission.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would have him assessed. They usually do for kids entering kindergarten anyway. Mature wise, if you think he is ready, and they will accept, sure.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i would rather my kid be an older kid then younger in his class
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My mother kept me back a year. It wasn't preschool, just at home with her lol. I was older than most of my classmates, but it wasn't a big deal to me,. or to them.

If the child isn't ready for kindergarten (and only you know that for sure) then they're not ready and it's fine to keep them out another year.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I agree with robin. See how it goes in kindergarten and decide then. We wish we had held our son back in first grade.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Depends on the child. How is he academically and socially?? If he needs more practice hold him back and work with him at home also to make sure he's ready to start school. If he's academically and socially on level I'd send him. 

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have twin sons that have a mid. Oct. birthdate and a son that has a mid. July birthdate. In both cases, we went ahead and sent the to kindergarten as eligible (all the year they turned 5). One of the twins ended up being held back a year when they were in 3rd grade (don't get me started on the failings of the SC public school system). It ended up being great for him, BUT we never regretted NOT holding them back.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would do it. Your the Mom & if you have a feeling, then you should. It will only help the child. My Pediatrician agrees. A lot of Moms I know are doing that including Me!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2011