Does anyone else find the media attention over Caylee unfair?

Don't get me wrong -- it's a tragic, tragic event when ANY child disappears/is murdered.. but the media coverage over certain children is incredible. Try being one of the other parents out there whose child has been missing for months or years and no one cares because it isn't a big story. I wonder how many children could be found if they would spend just 2 minutes of each segment about Caylee showing other missing kids? Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• i think it's a little unfair, too, but who said the media is fair :(. On my Myspace, I have several "friends" who diligently work to report the news of missing children and so many of them are barely given any media coverage even locally. Who cares about plot twists when it's a missing child? :(
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I think that the media is a business, and while each and every story about a child that has gone missing or has been murdered is very tragic, they do not all have extensive plots, twists and turns to keep their viewers attention. They are going to report on things that get them ratings, unfortunately.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• The reason this one made it in the spot light is because the mother did not report her missing for weeks after the fact. And the fact that the mother has changed her story again and again. And the fact that she probably knows what happened to her little girl and has said nothing to help find her.
    Everytime I watch something about it now if I don't hear that she has confessed or if they have found Caylee I do turn it off.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• pnwmom- I do the same thing.

OP- I agree, they should broadcast more missing children during shows.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• And you are right they should do more for all missing children.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• There are just some stories that I think set off a big media frenzy, and this happens to be one of them. I think the circumstances and events surrounding the whole story are so large that someone is trying to find anything they can to give closure to it. The more they dig up on her and this family the more they want to know. Its sad for the other children out there missing that could be found. Especially when Caylee Anthony is sadly more than likely not alive anymore. I hope they find her soon.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I think one of the saddest parts of this story is how the media has convicted that mother. Don't get me wrong I think she did it too! But you are innocent until a jury of your peers sees all the evidence and finds you guilty! Not until the media decides THEY have the evidence that they want. I mean keep in mind whenever they report a story it's front page news in BIG BLACK letters. But when they are wrong the retractions are very small. I think the worst part of all THAT is that they have now tainted the jury pool and the mom will probably be able to get off on that as a technicality!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• try reading the equusearch website, the numerous people that are missing and on that website, will just scare you to death. and those are only the missing people that equusearch is working with. it is overwhelming.
    Anonymous

• I think there should be one channel set aside for missing children and their story. In these modern times and with just about everyone having cable or satellite, it should be done. I also think this story captured the attention of the media and the people because of the mother and all the lies and facts that she has distorted. Women that murder their children usually give up the location or get caught with the dead child. This Casey is a very cold person and she has no feeling for her child or her parents. It is a very sad, sad thing for this child to be out there somewhere and her mother to just go on in whatever world she resides in. Very sad.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I can see your point of view. There are lots of factors that make a case media worthy. It does seem like many minority cases go on w/o much attention. I just hope to God, I am never in this type of situation--having a missing child. I don't want to imagine it let alone go there for real.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2008