My step mom wants to force my dau to get her ears re-pierced!

My 8 y/o did not really like the ear-piercing experience (her idea to try it) Well, she let her ears close up- but my step mom had already bought her expensive earrings for Christmas & for her upcoming B-Day. When I told her the holes closed up- she said she would just take her to get them redone. I said I didnt think she was ready for it yet- but she didnt seem to care! I couldnt believe the nerve! Now I will have to say NO to allowing her a lunch date w/ my dau for fear of her forcing her into this! Is that overreacting? What would you do?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• Have the child tell her she does not want it?

Good time to teach your daughter not to let anyone talk her into do things she's does not want to do.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The step mom has no business in what your daughter does. Period!
    That should be you, and Daddy's decision. I'd tell her flat out!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• you are not over reacting. she has no right. so what if she bought expensive earrings! she can take them back. and if she can't, she can save them until your daughter does get them re-peirced or give them to someone else. YOU ARE MOM. THE LAST WORD. PERIOD. Good luck!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 10:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Just explain she does not want her ears pierced after all it is up to your daughter to decide.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Tell her she better keep her hands off your daughter, and I agree, have your daughter tell her no as well. She has no business trying to make her do something she doesn't want to do.

As for the earrings, she can take them back and get her something else (like a bracelet or a necklace).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Tell your stepmom and your father that your family has decided to wait and do not want the ears pierced at this time. There is no discussion and don't make it an argument.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Make sure you teach your daughter to tell people that she doesn't want her ears pierced. And if it comes down to it, tell her (daughter) to tell the piercing people that grandma is not her legal guardian and they need permission from you.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Your stepmom has NO say so in the matter and if she does force your daughter to have her ears pierced, I would be at the place that did it for not getting PARENTAL permission. Also, she would not be left alone with my daughter again. You can tell your daughter that if your stepmom tries to force her, the she tell the lady doing it that her MOM said NO and that she doesn't want it done. She can get up and walk away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My 9yo just stood up to her grandmother for something and since then we have heard nothing else from my mom about the subject. This is a great age to teach her about standing up for herself. Explain to her that you are on her side and that when she talks to your step mom you will be right there to stand up for her as well. Besides, she is not the legal gaurdian, she has ZERO right to take her to get her ears pierced.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 1:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• When I saw the questions before opening, I knew my answer "Put your foot down. You are her mother."
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 2:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011