Any tips on potty training my puppy? I'm trying to get out of "spanking" her....

KiraHudson

Asked by KiraHudson at 11:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Crate training and timing.
    Mostly, it's all about timing. You have to take her out every half hour, every 30 minutes. If you're late, she might have an accident. When you take her out spend no less then 10 minutes, more time outside is preferred. And then, a lot of praise, like a ton of praise when she goes outside. And you'll have to do this all day long. They are puppies they cannot hold it as long as an adult dog. At night, this is when the crate comes in handy, set you alarm for either midnight or 1 in the morning to take the puppy out. Puppies cannot hold it all night (depending on age) as they get older they are capable of holding it throughout the night.
    I did this with my dog when he was a puppy and he was house trained in three days. He would be at the door crying if he had to go. Yes we still had an occasional accident but that was my fault for not getting to him fast enough.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The absolute best and kindest way to train a puppy is with a crate or cage. They like the closeness and comfort of the crate. They do not want to dirty it. It can not be too big. It is their special room. Take them outside as soon as you let them out. and walk and play with them. Give them the love and attention they deservea s a member of your family.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Have you tried crate training? I've done that with all my dogs. I found it worked the best.
    BUT if they make a mistake when you have them out of the crate, just say "No" firmly and take them outside. Praise and give treats when they do there business outside.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• it takes a long time, you have to be patient. Every time you take the dog out, stay out until they go potty. Then praise them heavily, maybe give them a treat. I associated it with a word like"Need to go OUT?" and then when they go say that. They will eventually learn.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 12:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I had to put them out and walk away. My dog won't go if I stand there, he'll want to play. So, I put the timer on and then check to see if he went. (he's in a small area so it's easy to tell). If he did then I praise him and let him in. If he doesn't go, I bring him in(it's cold out)but he isn't allowed to have free reign of the house until he goes potty, so then we put him out again.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• why would you spank her? my guess is, she is not learning b/c of the spanking. also, it can make her hand shy and lead to nipping.
    crate train, or take her out every half hour. if the pup has an accident and youre not right there to see it, and 5 minutes passes by, the dog has no idea why youre hitting it, just that you are, GL!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• We are going through the potty training thing as well. If she has an accident in the house, we bring her back to the spot, put her face close and firmly say "no" and take her outside. Today, she has only had an accident once that I've found (she's sneaky..lol) and it was after she was playing with our other dog. We just didnt get to her fast enough.

Puppies are just like babies. You have to teach them and it takes time. Be patient, stick to it, and and give the puppy lots of praise when she goes outside. Always give them love. They need to know they can trust you.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I use kennels for my dogs and it seems to work pretty well.
    Dragonfly_95

Answer by Dragonfly_95 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Mama2bof2... I don't spank her... but that is the advice I've been getting from other people :) She is too darn cute to spank! Lol.... I've been taking her outside every half hour today... and it seems to be working :)
    KiraHudson

Comment by KiraHudson (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2011