• In the Spotlight:

is my daughter going through hormonal stuff at 8 or trying to be a brat? i know she is bored

she keeps going room to room. causing her sister to get upset then tells me her sister is bothering her but yet it is reversed and she is bugging her dad while watching a movies. told her to sit down and she said your bothering me. I said excuse me your going room to room and it is bothering everyone. in turn when her attitude got bad told her to go to a time out she told me NO and ran off , made her come back in and told her i will not be disrespected. she turned on the tears which she has always done because it always worked on daddy. she thought he would allow her to disrespect me today it backfired. she is now in time out. I do not like raising my voice at my kids but she was yelling at me. and the bad part is my other daughter is sensitive to yelling it can set off a melt down because of the noise. I would send them out to play in snow later on but their is so much ice and it is snowing pretty good , plus the one just finishing antibiotic for strep throat on top of it waiting for the tanker with propane so w can turn off the space heaters and get the regular furnace back on. I know she is frustrated with not much to do. tried arts and crafts she gets bored with it. i wish i could think of something else for her to do. no car so i cannot get other stuff to do any suggestions for the boredom issues to?

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DD (11) started that around 8. I'm going to guess a combination boredom/hormones. Can you get her involved in a grown-up project; maybe making bread or cookies? Re-arranging her room? That always works for my DD - I had her use my shark mop yesterday and she was on cloud 9.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Have some family time.
    Go through old pictures and talk about the times.
    Do a cooking project as a family.
    Telll a continue story - the whole family takes turns addding to the story.
    Build a camp in the family room then eat lunch in there.
    Find a puzzle and do it as a family project.
    Act out fairy tales and the rest of the family guess what fairly tale you are acting out.
    I am trying to think of things your whole family can be involved in.
    Not everyone in a seperate room away from each other and not interacting.
    Make plans for an outing in the spring.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• You, yourself said she was bored. Find her something to do so she isn't bored and bothering anyone else. She could want attention from one of her parents. As a family, play bored games, card games, read a book aloud, color, draw, talk with the kids, make up and tell silly stories. TURN OF THE TV and interact with each other. Make cookies, a cake.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• getting him to turn off a tv is not going to happen i know how he is. played board games earlier and she would not sit still for them. no cake making items or cookies believe i wish i did. I cannot get to the store until later tonight when the truck comes back, she won't let us read with her she wants to do it on her own. i give my kids more attention then you think i do tyfry. i got her interested in clay for now. told her we can do some painting later when she wants to.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• took her out for a little while in the snow did her some good,painted, clay project , we found the stuff to make a pie but she was still restless but it helped us with some of the boredom
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2011