Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Student loans and Child Support?

2 Questions:

Student Loans
How far behind do you have to be for the IRS to hold student loans out of your income tax?

Child Support
How do you get Child support taken out of someones income tax check? They are more than 7000 behind and we have never seen her income tax check and I hear everyone talking about they get their back child support that way. Is it because her husband claims her and she doesn't work?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • the child support one, i would be asking domestics about that one.

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Child Support usually lets it get pretty high before they take tax returns... they want the added interest it gains by the person not paying...

    Student loans lets you only get a couple months behind, than snag a court order, they inform you they are going to... than get it as soon as possible

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • do you get a verbal or written court order from them or the irs? I can't find a answer online anywhere and the child support one of my friend got her back child support for $700?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • IRS does not inform you, whoever has the loan... my husband used to be a Bill Collector back in the beginning of our relationship... whoever holds your loan will inform you, nothing special BTW, just a letter by normal mail, than they file with courts... and keep in mind if IRS handles it for them, IRS gets 25%, which means what IRS gets paid doesn't count towards what you owe! That is just their fee to the person holding your loan...

    Good thing about a student loan, is even if they take a tax return to get it, the following year it'll count towards your deductions! Child support doesn't, and the parent collecting it doesn't have to count it as income! Both are a life time thing you can't get rid of... feel bad for anyone in that kind of bind

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Child support depends on the county you live in, and how "on top of things" the child support enforcement agency is. The reason people get back child support through taxes is because the father files, and his social security numbers pops up in an irs computer as a dead beat, so they alert the county to which he owes. If the father doesn't file taxes you're not going to get anything from them, and if he files but your case manager doesn't have his SS# on file your still not going to get anything. The best you can do with child support is make sure the case manager knows of his SS# and if you hear he has a job call up and give them the name of the employer.
    As for student loans, they don't let you get very far behind at all, a month or two and you'll get a letter in the mail saying they're going to garnish your wages. Its better to call and talk to them before that letter arrives then after, they might work with you.

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Childsupport you have to actually file with the state that you were ordered to pay it in like where ever the person got divorced, but it can take months to actually get any thing so you probably wont get any thing this year of there return also is you go through the state for your child support they keep part of it so if some one is ordered to pay you 950 a month you will get 900 of it cause they have there own fee.

    Answer by mrssundin at 1:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Is it because her husband claims her and she doesn't work?

    Yes, that is why. They may not get a return at all.


    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • If you owe federal student loans they will not notify you before seizing your tax refund and it DOES NOT go to a bill collector. They will take your whole refund if it is less than what you owe and they DO NOT negotiate.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • The child support is with my husbands ex. She owes us money and she doesn't have a job but her husband claims her and her 2 other kids on his taxes. Someone told us they will still take his taxes but I can't find that anywhere online confirming it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • As for the child support, it's depending on the state. Here in Utah no matter how much you are behind you the back child support will be taken from the tax. They won't take all of it just some.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.