Do you believe every US citizen should serve in the US military?

I did not read this any where just another one of my random questions.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• With that said - I would have no problem with part of graduation being 12 weeks at a simulated boot camp to knock a little of the attitude out of them ;) You survive summer at boot camp, THEN you get your diploma at your Labor Day graduation ceremony.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Where would you put them all? It works in Israel because it's a large military with a small population. We have the opposite. You'd have to expand the military to accommodate about 5 million more people...every year. There would be some fall off after the first 2 years, as some would choose to leave, but others would stay. In the meantime, our population is expanding, not retracting yet, so each new generation of 18 yr olds would be larger than the last. You'd create a bloated monster. Plus, to get it started, you'd have to take valuable resources away from active troops just to train a bunch of whiny punks who didn't want to be there, and then filter them into active units where they wouldn't want to be and would just generally be a nuisance, constantly getting in the way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No... Our military is so great because it is a volunteer force....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No. I appreciate the sentiment, but many people aren't cut out to be soldiers. It serves no purpose to force them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No- not every person is 'cut-out' to be in the military. I know some people who would have a nervous breakdown before they even opened the letter.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Nope some people are not capable of handling military life.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• no
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• no. why should they?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• ~*Nope*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Nope, I know I for one could not make it thru boot camp. I don't think everyone is cut out to be in the military and those who are not, usually know it and don't sign up.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011