"Multiculturalism Has Failed"

David Cameron, British Prime Minister, has declared the British experiment of encouraging multiculturalism has failed. Any thoughts as to why this might be and is it connected to why countries evolved in to independent entities in the first place?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12371994

annabarred

Asked by annabarred at 1:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe this is why human beings are put into categories in the first place. All those dialects, races, languages, and soooooo many of them taking it personally and wanting to be the other language as though it is better than their own
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• There is no such thing as multi culturalism. It is just a liberal feel good ideology. Attempts to segregate do not work. Go to any college campus. People click up with their own and desegregate themselves. Different races and cultures live within their own segregated communities their own social clicks and have their own customs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Multiculturalism has failed in America as well.Islam doesn't mix well with any peoples regardless of their religon.I say this because islams agenda is to domiiant the world .You become Islomic or die. I have read this from the Quram .!!!
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't get the question. How can realizing people are from different cultures fail?What specific policy is he referring to?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• You become Islomic or die. I have read this from the Quram .!!!
    _______________________________
    Oh, I see the problem, you are looking up "Islom" in the quram. You should look up "Islam" in the Quar'an. You are mixing up the two.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Oh, I see the problem, you are looking up "Islom" in the quram. You should look up "Islam" in the Quar'an. You are mixing up the two.

I have to admit, that was funny.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think that what was failed to be realized is that we can be 'multicultural' without being immersed in another's culture. It suppresses one culture to allow another. That never works. What worked was the pockets of culture that made this nation so interesting. I could go to Chinatown, Little Italy, places with strong Irish or German influences. I could go to the mountains of my state, NC, for the Highland Games, Scottish influence. We could visit these areas and feel the culture. Now, we don't even want to get near them because they have been shoved down our throats and the American culture deemed bad. We would have figured it out on our own without all the 'professionals' telling us how to work this out.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• A hyper-Sensitive Politically Correct Society allows too many free passes...  A government shouldn't be afraid of cries of discrimination, in order to protect their citizens from extremism...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I agree. It's become more of a "can you be politically correct" game and I refuse to participate. The government cannot make people be nice to or like any certain person or group of people. It's obvious in general that while blacks now have all the rights of whites they still choose to migrate together to certain areas or cities just as the Asians, Italians and Jews have done. I think it's natural and has little to do with not being welcomed by others
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm with Jesse on this one. I agree with what she said, and I don't understand why people think it's impossible to have some things that are truly separate but equal.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011