Sharp lower abdominal pains in pregnancy?

Hi there, I'm currently 35 1/2 weeks pregnant with my first child. Recently I have been experiencing lower abdominal pain up standing up. It doesn't happen every time, just randomly. What happens is that I go t stand up, get a terrible pain in my lower abdomen that makes me double over in pain and I have to sit down because I can't stand up. The first one lasted for only 5ish seconds. The last one I had lasted about 20-25 seconds. I'm not sure if this is what a 'contraction' feels like. I know I have had Braxton-Hicks, but that is definitely not what this is.

Has anyone else has this happen?

kristina.de

Asked by kristina.de at 1:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's most likely muscles stretching
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Contractions you would feel across you stomach not that low. It could just be that you are getting up to fast and streatching you muscles and ligaments. Just rest assured that IF anything were to happen (God forbid) this late in the pregnancy, your baby would have a GREAT chance of survival. But, just get up slower, like on the movies when you see these moms holding both sides of the chair and
    S-L-O-W-L-Y get up, that should help and you not have the pain.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 2:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• it might just be how that baby's positioned, he might just be putting more pressure on a certain area when you stand up, i agree get up much more slowly. i dont think its contractions either. try stretching some while laying down to see if you can get him or her to move a bit since standing up is difficult.
    bjaishot92

Answer by bjaishot92 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Sounds like round ligament pain.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• ugh i have the samething... i think its round ligament pain like PP said.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 7:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2011