Do you believe you can view your kids objectively??

I know as mom's were programmed to always see the best in our kids, so do you feel like you can honestly be objective when it comes to your children???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Now I can, but they are in their 30's. I thought I was pretty good at it when they were children but I see that I am much better at it now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes, I can, I can see their weakness and strong traits alike.

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No way.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Since we have three, and all are different from each other, and knowing they are not perfect... I see them as their own person! I know their strengths and weaknesses, and I can see from an outside perspective if that is the basis of the question
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• more than most. I love my kids to death... but Im not so blind as to think they are perfect.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't know if I am 100% objective, but I mostly objective. I can see my boys short comings. If anything I have to watch myself about being too hard on them because I expect their best effort out of them regardless of their weaknesses.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Some moms are more critical of their own children.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I definately see my children as individuals for their good and bad traits. I know what my daughter excells at and what my son faulters at. It's easy to see them for what they are and who they're becoming as individuals. They're not perfect all the time and they're never going to be. I think that it's important to learn how to see your children for everything they.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Now that there are older- its easier to be objective- I am no longer part of nearly every choice they make- I am not part of every social situation- you can get a pretty good idea of what your kids are like by looking at the results of their actions- grades, where they stack up on the sports teams, friends, etc....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think I'm pretty objective in seeing their REAL strengths and weaknesses. People sometimes think it's weird of me to say something regarding one of my kid's weaknesses, and I've never understood why. Why pretend? If there's a flaw or weakness, isn't it better to acknowledge it so it can be worked on, or at the very least, noted as a possible limitation?
    Most people see their kids through the proverbial rose-colored glasses, I think.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011