How

can I help my son learn to talk? He's 18 months and only knows Mommy, Daddy, No, Hi and Ow. All my friends babies who are the same age or younger than him know at least 95 words or are forming complete sentences. How did you get your kids talking?

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 2:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The child I take care of knows less words than your son. He is very bright and understands a lot, but is not vocalizing it all yet. Perfectly normal. It all comes in time. Just contiue to label things you talk about and engage him in what you are doing.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have always talked to my 3.5 year old -- since she was a newborn -- I've always talked to her about everything -- from colors to the weather to ..... animals... she used to watch my mouth so intently -- She started jabbering at 9 mos or so and hasn't quit talking since!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My son is two this month, and he knows hi, bye, momma, dadda, and what is this? lol the rest is babble...first im gonna say your son will talk when he is ready, my grandmother didnt utter one word until 3 and then she spoke in full sentences (according to my great grandma). I mentioned my own worries about my son talking to my friends grandmother and she said..does he babble? I said yes, and she said well there you go...he is talking, just talking to fast for you to understand! Lol, that did put it in perspective for me alittle. But if you want ideas, i have conversations with my son, we will be in walmart and ill be asking his opnion on everything, yes people look at me strange but i dont care, im teaching him. I read him stories, i sing him songs, im always talking to him. And once in awhile he will randomly say something and then stop. I even cook with him, i sit him in the high chair and tell him what im doing step by step
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Talk To Them... ask them questions even if they do not answer! Like when I did grocery shopping I would say, "You like yogurt don't you"? Or , "wnat momma to buy this"? Ask what colors things are, and GIVE the answer... what color is your teddy? Yes, brown...

Eventually they will/do catch on! When my three year old we added his Leapster Explorer, Jumpstart, Starfall.com, and flash cards to help with his speech
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Kids talk when THEY are ready, not when you're ready for them to talk. He probably knows a lot of words, but doesn't feel the need to say them. Especially if he gets what he wants without being encouraged to say what he wants. Children are like sponges and know a lot more then people give them credit for. Verbalizing it doesn't make them any smarter it only means they've decided to take something they know how to do and use it. Give him time. Continue talking to him and encouraging him to speak. He'll say all the words he needs to when he's ready.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 95 words? My son is 21 months and doesn't say 95 different words, he does talk though. Keep in mind, toddlers understand more words than they are able to say. Your son is only 18 months, give him some time.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Have the pediatrician check to see if he has tongue tie.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 2:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm not saying his not smart. He is very smart. (knows how to fold down our futon and helps put groceries away in the right place!) I just worry because he's not trying to talk. If he was at least babbling I would feel a bit better. :\
    MamaStuart

Comment by MamaStuart (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Don't worry it will come in his own time and then u won't be able to get him to stop.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 3:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• some just are slow to talk. My son was, and my MIL, says hubby was too. Neither of them talked much at all, until 3 years. Just keep encouraging him and saying words. My son seemed to freeze up the more we tried to work with him and 'force' him. He was very smart and could follow detailed instructions. It is AMAZING the things he talks about now (he is 5 years.). He remembers and talks about things that happened when he was 2.

As long as he is not behind in other areas, I say let this develop at its own speed. :) You can always go somewhere and get him checked out, too.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011