What are some pros and cons of a Montessori education?

There's a school near our home and I'm going to attend an open house to observe the classrooms but they only go up to grade 6 and I'm wondering if there might be any problem when she has to transfer to a non-montessori high school. She'll be entering 3rd grade next fall if I choose this school.

HannahMom2000

Asked by HannahMom2000 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Cons: My experiences are that it is a bit more costly than regular preschool. Pros: The kids learn soooo much and are independent. My daughter know the continents by age 4, and her letter sounds too. She just loved school. I still feel badly that my son is not in a program, but we moved and I did not like the ones that are around us. I do love his current school, but it is less academic based. You also have to consider each child's needs. I would say the program is academic based, but the children find everything fun. If your child was not ready he/she may not like the structure. Mine did. I love the Montessori philosophy, as a teacher too. Google Maria Montessori. Good luck!!!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• This is what I learned in my Early Childhood Education class:
    Pros: They teach the kids to think logically, the kids learn things like how to make coffee(minus the hot water part for safety reasons). The transition from montessori school to "regular school" is usually very easy, educationwise because they have already learned to think logically. The teachers evaluate every single child at least once a week(depending on the facility) and that is how they know a child is ready to advance to somrthing new.

Cons: Most Mont. Schools do not use imaginative play(which small children NEED, but that can be provided at home with play houses and dress up clothes,ect.). Also, most of the children I have known/seen are very hyper because they most of their schoolday consists of learning, yes through play but it is mostly indoors.

ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• cont....

Their are more pros and cons that I cant think of at the moment because it has been a few years since that class. However, I like the Montessori Method more than the other theories(Piagiet(sp?) theory lets the children CHOOSE what they FEEL LIKE learning!wtf?) and I am going to do whatever I can to put my kids through Montessori School.
    ICPclwnLOV

• I would like to be fair but I really can't think of any cons to Montessori education. And I wouldn't be concerned about 7th grade and above for your child because statistics show (I don't have them on hand but could dig them up if you really wanted them) that Montessori kids do as well or better than their traditional school counterparts even after they get transferred to a traditional school. They learn great self-motivation that serves them well in any environment.
    Elizabeth4980

Answer by Elizabeth4980 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Cons: My daughter learned WAY more before she entered her Montessori kindergarten than she did once she was there. (We pulled her from the program.)

She knew all her continents and solar system at age 3.5. She was reading at a second-grade level by age 5 and was fluent at adding coins at age 5.5. So she entered Montessori already being very advanced, and she basically just stalled there. The teacher was such a devout Montessorian that she wouldn't steer her toward topics that she didn't naturally gravitate toward, so she filled her days with lots of arts and crafts projects and little else. (She is quite artistic by nature.)

Anyway, her Montessori experience was a bust. We lost a $2k deposit and spent $1k/month for the four months she was there. People like to think that the method iteself makes a kid advanced, but a gifted kid will be advanced irrespective of teaching method used, and an avg kid will stay avg.
    albertinamel

Answer by albertinamel at 5:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2010