this intreuged me

me, my boyfriend, and my dad were at a party at my aunts house and some how the whole room got into the conversation about religion and it got so heated a fight almost broke out, it was extremely stupid...i finally chimed in and said "why are you all getting so pissed off? so what if they believe differently then you it shouldn't mean you bash their heads in to try to make them go to your religion because its not gonna work it only gonna do the opposite of what your trying to do"

no one said anything else about religion because they knew i was right and my boyfriend was surprised i said that because he knows im a hard core atheist

just thought id share that story

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• We have all witnessed the nastiness when it comes to religious & political debates. (If not- just take a peak at those sections here on CM!) Wow! Talk about having the claws out! Good for you for defusing the situation! Maybe you should get referee pay at all the family functions :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• lol maybe i should haha but my dad taught me like that he said something similar when he was first becoming an atheist

"you see how upset your all getting? this is the reason we have wars because people like you cant understand that others are going to believe differently"

and that has stuck with me since i became an atheist 10 years ago
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Wars are over money in most cases, religion is just the excuse they give, beliefs don't make money or pay the bills, and if a prson were to study history it usually comes down to money, good, goods, etc.

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Err... just leave it as money and goods... now arguements and personal fights are over religion... but WARS are over money and goods
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• hey its just what my dad said and it shut everyone up
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Next time try your hand at a conversation in politics, it can get even worse. LOL
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think this falls under the heading of you're-smarter-than-people-give-you-credit-for!! LOL!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• hugs

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2011