My son is 5 months 2 weeks and started solids about a week and a half ago and the past 4 days or so he's not drinking anywhere the amount of formula he had been & he's been extremly fussy & has diarriah too, what should i do!?

He's eating half of one of those stage 1 baby food containers at a time, and yes i know not to let him eat out of he container so it's not that. Am I just maybe feeding him too much baby food too soon, could that be doing it? If it is, what do I do b/c even eating the half of the container he gets upset sometimes when it's gone like he wants more. I am feeding the food and then a 4 oz bottle after, he normally takes 6 oz bottles every 3 hours, but now he's not even getting 3 oz down every 3-4 hours, and as i said he's had the runs, and been pooping a lot of soft stools as well. He's waking up at night with a poopy diaper, and in the morning that way too, and he's kind of a fussy baby anyway but has been 10x's worse. This is interfering with naps and sleep the past 3-4 days, anyone got any advice...please!?

mindy81

Asked by mindy81 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try backing off the baby food for a couple of days and see if his diarrhea clears up that may be it or he may have a little bug.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Stop giving the solids. They don't get much nutritional value from them right now anyway. It's only so that they can get used to the textures.

When giving the solids, make sure to give the formula or breast milk first since that is what they get the nutrients from.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• His stomach is adjusting to the new textures. I agree to back off the solids for a bit and try adding it slowly (not every day)

Answer by admckenzie at 2:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• by "backing off" do you guys mean to just stop for awhile, or try just giving him like a teaspoon or tablespoon full opposed to what he's been eating, and just give it to him like that every other day or something? ...I'm sorry, I know I sound ridiculous, believe it or not I have another child, he's 9 and I didn't have issues like this with him! So much has changed so much between these 2 kids that it has my head spinning about every little thing! I'm glad I have the internet this time around...
    mindy81

Comment by mindy81 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would stop the solid food completely just for a day or two and see what happens with his stool. It could be he coincidently got a stomach bug, or it could be the particular food you are feeding him is causing an upset stomach. If the stool immediately returns to normal you know its the food, and its your decision to try again with a different solid, or wait awhile longer. If he's still having lots of loose stools its probably a stomach bug, and you just have to let it pass. When my son first started solids we avoided bananas like the plague, they made him explode, and I mean explode... it was disgusting... but by the time he was on stage 2 baby food he was able to handle bananas just fine. Its a tricky situation new foods, just use your judgement, and make sure he's getting plenty of fluids, because that's the nutrition for him. The food is just a special treat at this age. Good Luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• yep, I would stop all solids all together. Get him back to drinking regularly. and get his bowel movements back to normal.

Then, add in 1 or 2 teaspoons of solid a day. Add in 1 at a time for 3-4 days...like start with 1 flavor and see if it irritates his bowels.
    After 3-4 days, try a different one and so on.

It may be that one of them is bothering him and without knowing which one, this would be the only way.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• yes, stop feeding him the solids!!! He might be allergic to something you are giving him or maybe his tummy just isnt ready for it yet. So stop for a few days until you notice he goes back to his normal rutine then introuduce the food one day at a time. So like the first day start with just a fruit, see how he does with it. Then the next day try something else, that way you can find what is makin him upset if its types of food or just the food in general.
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 3:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i agree with all the above! stop for a while and do one flavor at a time for 3days then u can switch to a different flavor! always give the bottle or breast milk first tho! baby food is just for fun! also i ended up making my own baby food so i know wats in it and it was a lot cheaper! i started baby food at 7months but she went to table food at 8 months so i didnt get to experiment much! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Jademom is right. I was told not to even start solids until they are 6 months old anyways. I'd quit the baby food all together. Like jademom said, the only reason they start babies on baby food so young is to get them used to eating it. Its not for nutrition. Their first of life, the majority of nutrition comes from breast milk or formula so that's what he should be ingesting the most.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• First, you should ALWAYS nurse or feed a bottle BEFORE any solids, the entire first year. I would def change that. I would also slow down on the solids, in fact I wouldn't have started this early. But, that's me. Whatever you decide to do regarding the solids (slowing down, stopping for now, or continuing) be sure to feed the bottle FIRST. Every time. This will ensure that he gets the nutrients and calories needed for growth.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2011