HOW MANY OUNCES SHOULD I BE GETTING WHEN I PUMP

lilmommi1226

Asked by lilmommi1226 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• well it depends on how long youve been pumping and the person you are, when i first started pumping i was getting about an ounce or two from each breast, the longer i pumped the more i got out...the second week i was pumping i was pumping about 4 ounces or so...but i ended up drying up so i can only give my experience of the first two weeks after birth! Sorry! Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• btw...that was me and my friend pumped like 4 ounces pretty much right away....so like i said..it depends on the person
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... pumping is no diffeent than actual breastfeeding... the more and more often you pump the more you produce... hope that helps? your body will create/make what the baby demands, hence the more often you do it the more you make
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• After your body regulates out (around 2 months), you will most likely only get 1 oz total at each pump session.
    Pumps are not as effecient as baby for getting milk out and are NOT a good indicator of how much milk you are producing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The amount you can produce when you pump does not reflect the amount you are producing or what baby takes in when you breast feed. I always had perfectly satisfied babies after nursing but could rarely get more than a couple of ounces total when pumping.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SOME INSIGHT ON THAT AND I APPRECIATE IT. I'M GETTING ABOUT 3-4 OZ BY PUMPING RIGHT NOW. SO THAT HELPS THAT YOU HAD THE SAME AMOUNT AS WHAT I PUMP.
    lilmommi1226

Comment by lilmommi1226 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 3-4 oz is above average pump output. Average is 1/2 oz to 2 oz, from both breasts combined. Keep in mind (not sure if you know this or not) that pumping is not an indicator of supply, meaning if you are also nursing, baby usually gets more then a pump. The amount you pump can change, so if it DOES drop, don't worry that baby isn't getting enough at the breast (if you're nursing also)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• There is no set amount, or even a general amount. Some women can't get more than a few drops ever, some women will get 8oz per breast per session. I was in the middle - sometimes I'd get nothing, sometimes I'd get 6 oz per side.
    Anonymous