Our Mothers and our relationships w them

If you live close to your mom and have at least a pretty good relationship how often and how do you spend time together?

My mom just moved to my town, we have lived apart for over 20 yrs. I guess I thought things would be different. It seems like she only wants to hang out if we are going shopping and out to eat. I wish she'd just want to hang out at my house or invite my family over to hang out w her and hubby.

dharmagirl

Asked by dharmagirl at 2:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• I hang out with my mom at least once a week.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~ be open and honest? Tell her that you would like to grow strnger bonds by just sitting across the table drinking coffee/tea, or watching a Movie/TV show, or even maybe "Family Game Nights"??? Find activities where you talk... dinner at home or BBQ in the back yard...

Glad to see you are trying to have a more close knit relationship... *Hugs* to you!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I lived 2 blocks from my mom for 10 years. We only saw each other about 1 time a week but we talked on the phone evary day.

Now I live 45 minutes away and we still talk about 4 times a week.

Oh, and she is one of my best friends.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If you have lived apart for so long, it is probably an adjustment for both of you...Talk to you mom about what your hopes were and ask about hers.....she may be afraid to intrude too much because a lot of moms are accused of that, and she may want to be one of those moms who stay out of their children's lives so as not to be a bother.....Who knows what she is thinking....but you will find out if you discuss it with her... best wishes....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Aw.. I'm sorry to hear that. Some moms are just that way.

My mom and I didn't have a very good relationship when I was growing up. I realized that she made a better friend than a mother... once I KNEW that, I was okay with her not being the typical grandmother & mom. I realized that I can't expect much more out of her than I would a good friend. Now, I'm 25 and we talk every single day on the phone --something I would have NEVER guessed a few years ago.
    Meggie-May

Answer by Meggie-May at 3:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Some people like to hang out and some don't. My MIL likes to sit and visit and chat. My mom likes to be doing something even if it's playing a game with her grandkids. She has a hard time relaxing. Think outside the box to come up with some ideas.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I moved to the town I live in first, followed by my sister, then my parents. I have a good relationship with my aprents, but I haven't spoken to my sister in years.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Just tell her that you want to enjoy her vists w/out the hustle and bustle of shopping or eating out.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 6:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I wish I lived closer to my mom sometimes. She's clear across the country from me. But when I got home to visit, I'm over there as often as I can be.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• You can tell her what you want but not all people like to just come over and sit and talk. I'm the kind of person who really does not like company coming over to my home. When i am home i like to be home and relax not entertaing people.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2011