Yogurt and Yeast Infections

I was recently hospitalized for a staph infection and was on IV antibiotics for 7 days. I am currently on antibiotics at home. The nurse at the hospital told me that the medication can cause a yeast infection. She told me that I should eat yogurt that has active cultures in it. She mentioned Greek yogurt. What other yogurt is good? Brands? My husband got me some Activia. Will that work? Also, how long should I eat the yogurt on a daily basis? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

lovemygirls2007

Asked by lovemygirls2007 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Health

• I would recommend taking a probiotic instead. The amount of yogurt that you would need to consume to fight off a yeast infection is huge. Also, the natural sugar in yogurt can counteract the benefit of it.

I take PB8 on a daily basis. I used to have 7-8 infections a year. I have been infection free for 3 years, even when taking antibiotics. I just double the dose when on antibiotics.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Basically any yogurt will do, in the ~*OLD*~ days they used to place plain yogurt in there (Eeewww to think about).. but they learned over time that you can simply eat it each day to keep up the natural bacteria in there that the medications kill... Eat whatever tastes good to get down, not all people like yogurt... GL,and hope you can prevent one!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• as long as it has acidophilus in it

Answer by admckenzie at 2:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I use tea tree oil soaked into a tampon to fight a yeast infection once it pops up...It really works and quicker than th OTC stuff too.
    If you eat a lot of yogurt, you can prevent yeast infections. It will say on the container that it contains live cultures.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 2:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yogurt is great on a daily basis to replace the good bacteria but you might need more than that for a little while. I would take some acidophilus tablets with my yogurt for a few weeks after I was completely finished with the antibiotics.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would eat 3 cups of plain yogurt a day and I would also cut all sugar and white flour out of my diet for a while because yeast feeds on it....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011