How do you teach your 2 yr old

To stay quiet when he wakes from his nap? Every day he wakes and cries, not in bed, but standing at the top of the steps crying. And every day wakes his brother. I tell him, Shhh you have to be quiet or you will wake your brother. And of course, waking the baby.
Ugh, some days I feel like it is never ending LOL

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 2:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesnt understand? Why would you think he doesnt understand...? My niece just turned 2 and she is potty trained so i believe that children are a bit smarter than some would give them credit =) I do think he understands what he is doing. Maybe that is his point to wake his brother. Whats the age difference? If this is the case, I would try to get to him before he does this one day....tell him to ssshhh and be very quite going past brother. Make it fun for him =) and maybe give him some one on one attention. Make it a game for him. Just try it ya never know? Good luck!!!
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 3:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• You could still get the monitor so you can hear him getting out of bed and hopefully get to him before he starts crying. you could also put him in another room to nap so he isn't next to his brother.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• He has no clue what you are saying to him in your explanation. He wakes and cries bc he thinks he's alone. Get a monitor and when you hear him moving around go to him or let him hear you so he knows he's not alone.
    Anonymous

• Just stay upstairs when you know he is going to wake up. As soon as you hear him moving go get him before he cries.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• So me saying, "SHH don't cry, you will wake your brother" He doesn't understand. But he can understand, Throw you garbage in the trash....and do it. I live in a small home, I don't need a monitor. He cries once he is standing at the top of the steps, not in the bed. It takes me all of 1 second to move from where I am to be at the bottom of the steps, that are between the livingroom or kitchen. So I sit at the top of the steps between 2 bedrooms for a half hour of time waiting for him to wake?? Gotta be a better solution that that LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I agree, he knows. If he has been peeing in a toilet since 22m and knows simple instructions, he knows. They sleep in same room at night, but he naps in my bed. The rooms are the only things upstairs. He is a loud one too LOL He may be wanting him to wake, they are only 13m apart.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2011