Anyone have a SUPER active 2 year old?

Ok, yes it is true that toddlers are active. It is also true that this is normal and healthy. HOWEVER- there are mommies I know out there that understand this phrase "My child is BEYOND active, she is CONSTANTLY active and NEVER stops." I'm not talking about being interested in touching everything or even running away from mommy. I'm talking about a child SO active that even when you take them outside to run and play and they run for 30 minutes or more- they return in the house with just as much energy as they left with. This is my daughter- and I'm wondering what to do about it. I fear that putting her in dance won't be enough, sports possibly, I'm even thinking of karate. What are your suggestions or successes that you've experienced with a severely active child?

Thanks,
Dani

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 3:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• You are absolutely correct that there is active and then there is ACTIVE. When your child is beyond ACTIVE it is so hard to explain that to other parents. Everyone wants to pass this off as all toddlers have the energizer battery in their reserves. Many of the parent that I have worked with have told me that looking back to their child's toddler years they could see signs that their child had ADHD or _______ (fill in the blank). Hind sight is the only 20/20 visison. It is so hard when your child is not even in school yet. I'm a therapist and have my own ideas. But you have to do what you are comfortable with. A few thoughts: diet (many people have said this helps), routine, plenty of rest, exercise, and flexabilty on your part. A piediatric behaviorist may be a good idea if there are also behavior issues associated with having so much high energy. Support groups for ACTIVE toddlers also helps.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I think the first thing to find out is why she is over active to begin with? I had an extremely active/hyper child also. He is grown now. People though I was exaggerating until they seen him in action. He was ADHD. I tried medication, but the side effects were too severe. I tried all 3 drugs that were out at the time with no luck. I ended up seeing a behavioral therapist who would give me tips on what to do in specific situations. He helped a lot. Now that he is grown he isn't hyper, but his mind still races. Good luck to you!
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• my son, who is now 9, was on the go from the minute he could move freely and on his own - he stopped napping at 2, but slept through the night - a good 10 hours every night - he is still very active - was diagnosed at 5 with ADHD - what I learned way beck when is controlling the diet - start now with a healthy diet - very little processed foods, very little processed sugar foods and drinks - try to go as natural as possible. Once you find something that your son really enjoys concentrate on it until he gets bored - then change the direction go for a walk around the block, then come back - he may pick up right where he left off - don't fight it, go with it - you will save yourself a lot of frustration and anxiety

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 4:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My 3 yr old is just like that. I dont know what to do about it. Since
    he started preschool, theyve talked to me about him seeing a psychologist and
    talking to his doctor about him getting checked out for possibly adhd
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 6:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Mine is! I've never understood the "let them run around outside more so it wears them out" idea. It doesn't work with my daughter. I could take her to the park for the whole day and she'd still be going strong! Does she get worn out? Yes. And the entire time, her body is dumping more and more adrenaline into her system to keep her going.
    I do have her in 3 Mommy & Me classes. I have noticed on those days she actually has a much harder time calming down and going to sleep for her nap and at bedtime. I keep her in the classes because I can see that she is learning so much in them - how to sit for circle time (still not there!) and how to do what the group is doing are the big lessons I'm going for.
    I'd say, go for it. Put her in the classes as long as they are appropriate for her age and developmental stage. If she is like mine, expect those days to be harder. I think it's worth it though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My son was a very active toddler, letting him run out his energy just wound him up more, he actually needed to run and play outside about an hour before nap time and diner so that we could then concentrate for that hour on calm activities. Playdoh, finger paints, blocks things that are quiet but still moving activities. Also before going to sleep, he needed big movements, like instead of rocking him I had to hold him standing up and twist side to side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Another thought is don't let others get you down. Everyone wants to assume it is poor parenting. Ha! I won't even go there. I will say, keep your chin up and try different things. Experiement. My MIL put my husband in swimming very early to wear him out (he's not high energy but she thought so at the time, I wasn't there so its not my place to judge). That seemed to work for her and for him. I do think the other posters are correct. Sometimes what calms others down actually will do the opposite. Knowing your child is key. Write down all that has not worked, keep a journal on his activity, and other behaviors. Share this with professionals if you decide he needs to see someone.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2008