I know it's wrong...

I am a Christian, and I have been saved since I was 13. I was always a big believer and then while I was having trouble conceiving, I got away from it. Since I have had my girls, I started going back to chuch. I know they say God should come first, but I always put my kids before God. I know if it wasn't for Him I wouldn't have them, but they keep using the scenario that if a man walks into a place and you have to choose God or family and if you choose God they shoot you... They say that if you choose family that God in heaven will deny you. But even though I DOUBT that would ever happen IRL I can't shake the thought from my head that I would choose my kids first. Anyone else like that?

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 3:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh yeah, one last thing.....Peter denied Christ thrice. How lest a mother to deny for the sake of her children, when Peter became the greatest of the Apostles?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I don't think it is wrong my God would want me to choose my kids and family first and foremost, this is what I do.

Answer by older at 3:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Oh bless your heart....you started out by saying I know it's wrong, but do you really? God gave you those kids to nurture and protect, and they belong to Him as much as you do....It is impossible to choose one over the other and God loves you unconditonally and what we do to ourselves because of the limitations of language is so sad to me.....Of course you would choose your children, God wouldn't have it any other way....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The scenario you're measuring yourself against is very drastic. I'd look at the day-to-day things you do - how you spend your time. Is the time spent with your children bringing you closer to God or pushing you further away? Remember, God gave you the role of mother and entrusted you with His children. I know it's hard to fit in time to pause, pray and reflect in private when you have kids, but as long as you're trying to move closer to God, you will.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• WHy in the world would any kind of a god expect you to put him first, only for your kids to be killed before your eyes?!! That is sick. If your god doesn't understand a mothers' love for their children, then there is something wrong with him/her/it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• For me, it's God, then husband, then children. That's the way God ordained it. In your post, it sounds like you are talking about being in a life or death situation. I don't think anybody can honestly say what they would do until they are actually facing that very thing. I have asked myself that same question. Would I be like Peter and deny God? I sure hope not because Jesus said, "If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my Father." But I can't say with a hundred percent certainity that I would not deny Him.

@toughmom638: What about Stephen who was stoned for his beliefs? What about Paul who was whipped and beaten mercilessly on several occassions? And what about the missionairies of today? Sometimes Gods will DOES take a person outside of His protection. I don't know if that's what you meant or not, but that's how I understood it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would choose God. No one knows if you choose one or the other whether the outcome will change but the afterlife will depending on your answer.

I know that by putting God first that I am also putting my children first. Since He takes care of all of us, I know that he will not let my children go thru pain and suffering without a reason.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Personally, I think putting your children first is what God would want. He's God right? He can handle the rest. Don't feel bad
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Remember.....Genesis 22:10-12 NLT "Abraham picked up the knife to kill his son as a sacrifice. At that moment the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”

“Yes,” Abraham replied. “Here I am!” “Don’t lay a hand on the boy!” the angel said. “Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son.”
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 7:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The WILL of God will NEVER take you where the grace of God cannot protect you.

It says 365 times in the Bible, Do not fear. one for each day of the year, and if he says it that many times, dont u think he meant it? He has plans to give you a hope and a future not to harm you.

Do not be worried about what tommorow will bring because your life is in Gods hands.
    toughmom638

Answer by toughmom638 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011