5 weeks preggers ... awful sinus congestion

Is there anything that I can do to get rid of this, or at least ease the pain?! I have done my neti pot 3 times already today - and it helps for about 30 minutes, then we're back at awful pain. Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• ive never had a sinus infection..so bare with me ....if its a stuffy nose, i have found saline solution works great in breaking up that kinda stuff, all it is is salt and water, so it wont hurt the baby, if your worried about OTC products, just make your own so your 100% sure its only salt and warm water, put a few drops in each nosteral and keep your head tilted back to let it soak in, thatll loosen up alot of it, also a nice hot wash cloth (rinse it and put it in the microwave for a couple seconds) and lay that over your nose and cheeks area, its only a wet wash cloth so that wont hurt the baby either and reapply as needed!. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Pretty please contact your doctor, call nurse, or whatever your insurance covers... planned parenthood if none! What you take in will effect your baby, and I beg you get actual medical advice rather than from an invisable person posting... because some medications will retard your unborn baby...

Not bashing, just begging you seek actual medical advice, rather you pick up a phone than take the chance... ~*Hugs*~ and hope you feel better
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I was TERRIBLY congested for my entire pregnancy. I normally get congested pretty easily, but pregnancy was insane. We tried using a humidifier for awhile, but it didn't help at all. I couldn't really find anything that worked, unfortunately...I suffered! I hope you find something that does!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• They usually don't want you to take anything until your 10 weeks along but they do have an approved list of meds they can give you. Call your doctor or on call nurse.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• mommaclark...while i respect that you are worried no one on here actually said to take any medicine, a humidifer, salt water and a washcloth will not hurt a baby..or as you put it "retard your unborn baby" as for taking medications, yes she should contact a doctor if deciding to take any OTC medication, OTC saline solution is just that..over the counter salt water..basically your paying for salt water...thats why i suggested making her own, I think she'll be ok...but yes you are right any medicines involving actual MEDICINE yes she should consult her doctor
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• sadly i know they say not to i just used dayquil and nickquil when i told my doctor she said it was probably the best bet if nothing else works... there is also this thing called a Nettie pot she told me about you can get it at wall mart it drains your sinuses with out using medicines thats probably the safest but defiantly call your doctor see what they may suggest
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm in the same boat. I'm 5 weeks and all I can use is the netti pot and humidifier. I only get a little relief and then I am clogged again, though I think I have a little cold because I have some drainage and that is NOT helping with the morning sickness.
    Good luck and Congratulations! If you find something that works do share with me?? lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Gnomeofmyheart - I totally agree that this drainage is not helping with morning sickness! I have found though, that I do my neti pot, eat a few minutes later, and then let the pain ensue again ... if I stay well fed during morning sickness, I do MUCH better; but who wants to eat when they feel like their head might explode?! Good luck to you too:) Thanks for all your advice ladies, I think it's the saline and humidifier solution for now, with tylenol this afternoon to get me through my photo shoot today!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i got a list from the dr and this is what it says>>>sudafed, vapor rub,and nasal spray.
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• do you have a humidifier? I've heard that works.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 7:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2011