Would you have said something? I was tempted

We were at Walmart today and this man and his 3 kids were with him. Daughter looked 7,son,5,and 2nd son,3. I heard the dad say it was her job to look after her brothers while in the store. The 3 year old would lag behind and the dad would yell at the daughter for not watching him. The girl couldn't get to the little one because the aisle was really busy. The dad went up and grabbed the 3 year old by the coat,picked him up off his feet and shook him and screamed in his face,"you better listen to me or else!" The little guy looked terrified.
I wanted to say "hey,put the 3 year old in the cart. he can't wander that way and you won't have to resort to terrorizing your kid!"
I don't think its fair to expect a 7 year old to have to corral her brothers in the store.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• ~*Awe*~... not my place to honestly say anything, and far from me to judge since I still make mistakes... but when a parent has a child watching a child it breaks my heart, because in a sense the child is loosing their's to keep up the slack of the other?

I have a 15 year old, 5 year old, and 3 year old... and only time I "ask" my eldest is if we are going to do grocery shopping, and he has the option of telling us "no"! In which case I remind myself we chose to have the two smaller ones, NOT him, and buck up and take them with us!!! But we are advocates of allowing children to be children, while they are still kids, because they have their whole lives to have responsabilities...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I agree it's not her job. The father needs to be watching his kids. I hate when I see people treating their kids like that!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would have said something. Shaking him like that is next to abuse. At the very least, it's hostile.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• cameras in the store. I once caught a lady beating the living daylights out of her 9 yr daughter in the Kroger parking lot. I was the only one WOMAN enough to stop it, even when she threatened to kick my a**. My husband called the police while I was keeping her attention on me instead of her child. The store camera was evidence against her. Also a store manager witnessed it from another angle as he was on his smoke break. As a victim of child abuse, I couldn't walk away without the conviction of knowing the child could count on at least one adult.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 3:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• y does everyone keep mentioning how it was indeed wrong to ask the 7 yr old to watch the younger siblings, but noone seems to be focusing on the biggest problem being yanking the little one up & lifting him in the air by his coat & screaming in hi sface scaring the living daylights out of him. had people not been around im sure some even more major abuse woulda took place!!
    Anonymous

• Yeah, he needs to watch them or know a little bit about making a game of the shopping for the kids, giving them things to look for if old enough and giving items to the little ones to put in the cart.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i woulda wanted to say something too..but probably wouldnt wanna see what a guy like that might do to ME! those kids probably face that everyday if he's not holding back in public. :( saying something wouldnt have even helped probably. can u say CPS. very sad
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes I would have said, Who was going to look after him for being an idiot asking a child to look out for a child. that's like telling a baby to feed a baby.
    7 years old is not big enough to watch 3 siblings of any age. Maybe he should have asked her to help look out for one of them. That would have made more sence.
    A522R

Answer by A522R at 3:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would have said put him in the buggy and shopping will be so much easier. Poor kids :(
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think I would have said something because he was acting like he was crazy. You can't think a 7 y/o can keep up with your kid That is your son and he is the adult. It is clear that he doesn't take them to the store much cause he didn't know to get a cart. I always did it when my sons were little even if I didn't need it.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011