*VENT, NOT QUESTION *

I am sick and tired of people attacking my profession of special education. Not me personally, but the amount of people who ignorantly run their mouths knowing absolutely nothing about the field and the children it serves... AH!!!! I'm so tired of hearing about labels, and how parents make excuses for their children, and the autism epidemic... First of all, labeling a child is necessary to get them the services they need in life to exceed, so get off the labeling whining. MOST parents who have a child who is truly suffering want that label, because that label means services, it means better education for their children, it means a better understanding of how their brain works, and support groups to help them meet other children who have the same diagnosis. Second of all, no matter what the label, EVERY parents makes excuses for their child at some point or another, not just the ADD/ADHD parents. We ALL do it because in our eyes our children are perfect, and if someone tells you otherwise you're gonna defend your child. And if you don't, well then that's sad, because every child deserves to have at least their parents on their side, even when they're wrong. So lets stop attacking the special needs population parents for "making excuses" ok? Because we all do it from time to time. And lastly, the "epidemics" that are occurring. Before running your mouth about something you know nothing about pick up a journal article and read once in awhile. These differences, such as ADD/ADHD are not an epidemic. They're being correctly diagnosed more. 25 years ago ADD/ADHD existed just as much, the children were just "labeled" trouble makers and the bad kids, and either ignored, cast aside by educators, or suspended. Now there's an understanding that these children aren't bad, there's a chemical imbalance going on. Look in a history book, you won't find ANYONE diagnosed with mental retardation. Why you ask? Because these poor people were thought to be insane, and subjected to torture, horrible "therapy" sessions, radical medications, and ultimately killed. When Dr.'s started understanding mental retardation existed the number of "insane" people in institutions dropped dramatically, while the number of individuals with mental retardation sky rocketed. And lastly the Autism "epidemic". Again, not an epidemic, its always existed, in previous years (even as recently as 10 years ago) it was incorrectly labeled as mental retardation, and its a better understanding of the disorder and medical advances that have made the "labeling" so popular. Medicine and psychology are constantly learning and advancing, and therefore so is the terminology. Autism has existed since the dawn of time, but it wasn't always named autism. ADD/ADHD has existed since the dawn of time, but it wasn't called ADD/ADHD. So before attacking the special needs population, those of us that work in it, and the parents of these children who truly have something chemically wrong with their bodies, how about you read into the history of special education, or even pick up just one special education journal. Educate yourself a little, as oppose to believing everything the media says.

Ok, I feel better now

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Bravo! You are definitely in the right profession! Any parent of a student of yours can be confident that you have their best interest at heart.

you rock

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• You go girl!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 3:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• well written
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 3:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I hope more people read your post. I took a class in special education and I loved it. I got to learn so much from it. Here's a BUMP!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• lol im assuming this is because of a previous post that occured about labels? I can assume so because you specifically said about parents "making excuses" for their special needs children. Which is what i wrote..sort of. Your completely right, there are children out there who have these problems. My heart goes out to them for the struggles they deal with, the familys who have to watch and try as help as much as possible and people in the profession who work hard to make a better life. Let me explain where I am coming from. The example i was trying to say was, my sis in law says her son as ADHD and some behavioral disorder, he was never diagnosed and she says that every time we visit and he pushes my son, slaps my son, does something to him even if he is sitting there reading a book and its all because she feels he has these issues. I never said Special needs children get there way, i said people who label their children.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• You are a very special person to help these children and the lord will bless you for it. Ignore those people bc they are just, plain stupid.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 3:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• my sis labled her son before a diagnosis, it was nothing against a specials needs child at all, its those who label without an actual diagnosis
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• thank you for being the best special education teacher you can be, i appreciate all the special education professionals in our lives

my daughter (3.5), has a number therapists and special education teachers
    to me they are my life line, whenever i have a question or concern they are there to help me find an answer
    my daughter does not have label yet in public school system, but did have to get a PhD to say autism label on a report. I have to have that offical label on a report to apply for services for ABA in home extensive therapy services (the waiting list after applying is year to year and a half)

i think those that complain about labels would not exchange a world with no labels if it meant their child had disabilities / delays
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• People probably talk in general, not against you personally, because labels and medication are so rampant.. that in most cases it creates more issues/trouble than it helps. I can’t look at a single classroom in my son’s school and not find a child that has been labeled. And in some cases like mine, where a child was labeled by a teacher, he had an IQ of 220, but because he was bored and fidgeted at his desk he was labeled, medicated, and at the time I didn’t know any better…

I am not saying there are not “special” children, but it is over done in this day and age, and the more cases like mine out there are going to make it a lot harder for those that actually are and do need the services…
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• More people would read it if you wrote it in your journal than if you vent here
    Anonymous