Spitting food out

My 22 month old daughter has a habit of spitting her food out. It doesn't matter what food it is. She does it to EVERYTHING. She will eat a few bits and then spit it out or throw it on the floor. We are use to it at home, but when she does it at other peoples home or in public, it makes us really upset like we can't control our child. We have tried tapping her mouth and just removing her from the table, but she still does it.

yummymummy7

Asked by yummymummy7 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ooh...isn't it frustrating? I have a home daycare kiddo that does this. I limit the food on the high chair tray . Say they have diced ham, green beans and apples for lunch. I put 2 green beans on the tray. If they choose to eat it they get more. But, if it's thrown on the floor I make them wait for a bit before I give them another piece of food. They get tired of waiting on their food so they then decide they'll quit throwing it and eat. The spitting thing is kind of tricky. If it's not too chewed up and gross I offer it to them again. But if it's too nasty then they aren't offered any more food until their friends are mostly done with lunch. After watching everyone else eat they finally get serious about eating. It's all about control. They want it.....LOL! You have to remind them that you are in control....Good Luck : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• She is almost 2 years old she is old enough to under stand things. If she was my kids I would tell her (when she spits the first time, & starts throwing the food)If you don't stop and eat I will take all your food away,you must not be hungary. I wouldn't give it back to her.Let her eat at the next meal. If she is hungary enough she will eat and not play with her food.

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Louise2, you shouldn't deprive her of food by making her wait until the next meal!! Really, that's neglect, I'm sure she's hungry inbetween!! I get your point of being frusterated and trying to teach her, but I would never do that.
    Just look the kiddo firmly in the eye, tell them that we do not throw/spit food, and take it away for 2 minutes. Let them try again. If it keeps up for a few days, increase the amount of time you keep the food away from them. But don't withold food altogether. When they're that young it's necessary for them to eat!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 4:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• They'll eat when they're hungry. If they're spitting their food out and throwing it on the floor they aren't hungry enough. Once you've told the child what is expected of them and that lunch time is the time to eat and not play then if they don't eat you then try it again at snack time. That's not neglect it's follow tthru.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• If you give the food back to the child in 2 min. they will keep throwing the food. Then you will be their all day. You make them wait tell the next meal. They know your not joking.

Answer by louise2 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• aggreeing with mrseum dont deprive your baby food.. they are growing my son is 2 1/2 and eats all day.. i believe that if you can afford food never deprive them cuz if you ever do then when you cant afford food you will regret down to the last piece of candy you took away from them that one day you should have let them have it.. my son did this for the first time a few nights ago while we were in my school break room with many people watching its a college so all eyes were on the baby.. i bought him a candy bar gave him a piece and he spit it out so i cleaned it up told him "fine you dont get none" and exaggerated my piece of candy's taste it made him want it even more so i gave him another piece and he copied and mmmm'd the entire candy bar till it was gone that was the 1st and only time he spit it out.. babies want what they cant have remember that always
    shiekybabee03

Answer by shiekybabee03 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2008