if your teen wants to be a food server or a clerk after high school, would you support them and let it be or would you encourage them to explore other options?

briefcase

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• ~*Honestly*~ whther my child wanted to be a service person, high end career, whatever it is.. I would ask them to make sure it isn't their only goal, have back up plans, and that they plaese make sure whatever they choose has an option to go further if they so choose later... such as the food service can become a manager!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• THE ONLY TH!NG YOU CAN DO !S SUPPORT THEM. ONLY THEY CAN DEC!DE WHAT TO DO W!TH THE!R L!FE. !F YOU TRY TO PUSH THEM TO HARD THEY WONT L!KE !T.
    NuMbEr2OnItSwAy

Answer by NuMbEr2OnItSwAy at 4:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The deal we've made with our oldest daughter is this: she can live at home for free after she turns 18 IF she is in school (college or technical) AND she is working (food services/clerk would be fine). If she isn't in some sort of school then she needs to move out and pay for her own place. If she decided she wanted to work a food service or clerk job and NOT go to school I wouldn't like it, but it would be her choice. I think if she did choose that route to start with it might not be a terrible thing, because I think she would learn pretty quickly that she didn't want to live that way forever.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would be supportive but he would have to make enough to live on his own because he won't be living with me. He knows that if he doesn't go to college, he is out of my house at 18.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 'after high school' if you mean after graduation... hell no. I think that would be a horrid choice of career path for my children and a complete waste of their potential. IF they were doing it part time while they went to college, while they persuade some actual career path, then I would support it. But if that is as far as they see themselves going in life then I would feel as if I failed.

I hope that I have instilled the desire for higher goals in my children. If that is the most they see themselves doing then I will feel as if I failed them. I want them to strive for the best they can be... and they can be more.

Anonymous

• After high school, my child has two options: a university or national service (like Americorps)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would encourage them to work those jobs part time while also pursuing a degree at the local community college that would further that particular career choice. For a food server - something in culinary arts. For a server - something to help them manage money better and do their own taxes correctly.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would want them to have some sort of further education whether it be a two year program, college, or a technical school.. But as pp said at least try to pick a field where there is room for growth/advancement.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would be supportive. I would hope they would plan to expand their horizons eventually, but in the mean time I don't see the problem with it. Not sure about retail but people in the service industry can make GREAT $$$$

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I encouraged both of my boys to work after school when they were in h.s. Oldest went to work at DQ and youngest got a job at a liquor store stocking shelves. Oldest has been in the Air Force for 5 yrs and youngest is 20, goes to college and still works pt. They both know how to manage their money, pay their own car insurance etc. I think it's awesome when they're being productive young people, they could be lazy, drug abusing kids.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2011