i'm not sure if i should take our guinea pig to the vet or not..

i noticed yesterday he was limping. i thought maybe he just needed a nail trim so i trimmed his nails and checked him out..he looks perfectly fine. i don't know what it could be. Is it possible he could have a sprain? i did get this new bedding its soft finely shredded woodchips (it feels like paper) but maybe one of the sharper pieces poked his foot??? idk. what do you think? is it worth a trip to the vet or would you stick it out another day or two? is there even anything they could really do for an animal his size if it was a sprain?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Pets

• I have guinea pigs too. We have a cage where the pigs can go in and out down the wire ramp when we have free time for them- occasionally we have had a mishap when they have gotten a nail or foot caught in a rung on the way down. Is there anything he could have caught his foot on? Generally mine would be fine again by the next morning. If it continues beyond another day or so, I would probably take him to the vet just in case. In general though I would think that any sprain/strain/hairline fracture would have to heal up on it's own... I'm sure it's hard to cast a guinea pig!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• For a few hundred dollars, I am sure they will be able to come up with something.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• guinea pigs are sensitive, and kind of a pain lol. I would lightly feel around his paw (the pad of the paw) and see if he flinches or 'chutters' then maybe he got a splinter. If not, lightly massage all legs and once you get the limping leg see how much he flinches and feel around the leg for a splinter for look through the fur for redness. Good luck!
    brandy0827

Answer by brandy0827 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011