Getting a dog?

I have a 5 month old, would it be a good idea to get a dog?
I've never had a dog (only cats which I got rid of when I got pregnant). I kind of want my son to have a pet to grow up. Is he too young to even think about this? What kinds of dogs would be good to have around him? (We live in town- no yard really, in a 2 bedroom apartment by the way).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dogs need lots of exercise, so not having a yard & living in an apt. is not ideal for a dog. I would hold off & just enjoy having time w/ your new baby. There will be plenty of time to consider a pet when they are old enough to appreciate & help take care of it. (BTW- when that day comes, Labs are great family dogs- but fair warning, the 1st 2 yrs are the "hyper" ones! :p )
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would put this on hold. Maybe by the time he is three you will have a yard and he will be able to better bond with the dog.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• get a small dog like a yorkie .
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I got my dog when I was pregnant with my first son. He was a keeshond the dog started guarding the baby as soon as I took him home from the hospital and he was only a puppy at the time. He was a great dog. They have long hair though so not a good idea for such a small apartment like yours. I would get a small breed dog that gets along great with children. Do the research and good luck!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No, yorkies are known to be nippers, most small dogs are and young children frighten them easily.
    I would wait until your child is older. You have your hands full with a baby, throwing in a dog especially if you have never owned one before might overwhelm you. But, while you are waiting until your child is older you can do plenty of research on what breed you want, even a mutt still has characteristics of the breeds it is mixed with. Becoming familiar with the breeds will give you an idea on what kind of dog you want in your home. You can research the cost of owning like vets, grooming, food and be completely prepared and ready for the new addition. Also if you plan on having a purebred you'll have time to find the best breeder and get the best quality of dog.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• my daughter is the same age and i just got a tecup chihuahua and they are verry good with eachother
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 4:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think raising a dog and baby together is a great idea. Because you have such a small yard, I would recomend a low energry dog like an English bulldog or a bassett hound. Both breeds are great with kids. I have worked with vets, and raised many dogs, please feel free to message me with any first time dog owner questions.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011