How do I know if my kid is ready to be potty trained?

I'm confused bout this. My son will go through the motions of being potty trained but i'm scared to leave him in pull-ups cause he just likes to pull them down and I don't want him to go to the bathroom on the floor. I'm ready to potty train him and get him out of diapers but I don't know what to do bout the pulling down of the pull-up. Please someone help me and give me an understanding?

treyeme

Asked by treyeme at 4:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Those are just the chances you take while potty training. If you're so worried he'll pee all over the house I would say he is not ready. If he's interested in using the potty or is letting you know that he needs to go or is going it sounds like he may be ready.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Initially I was going to say you'll know because the child will show interest. But it sounds like your son is interested, except a little more interested in pulling them down. Does that means he takes his pants off too? With my daughter, who is almost three, we skipped the pull-ups. At home we just don't put her in a diaper and she tells us when she needs to pee- this is how it's been for months, even though at her pre-school she wears pull ups. But that's how we started, with nothing before pull-ups, and she thinks pull ups and underwear are the same thing (we call the pull ups underwear). but letting her run around with just pants on did help...
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Google "toilet training readiness" for some useful links
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• most kids will let you know if their ready to be potty trained my daughter takes her diaper off all the time.
    beth198723

Answer by beth198723 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The best way to know for sure that your child is 100% ready is that he is staying dry all night long. This signifies an ability to control the actions along with knowing when he has the need to go.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If they stay dry over night and during naps then chances are they are ready.
    LadybugsMonkeys

Answer by LadybugsMonkeys at 11:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Staying dry overnight can take years. It is not related to toilet training readiness. My two were not dry at night until 7 - 8 and neices went to 10. It is not the same as being toilet trained during the day.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2011