Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

School w2 taxes question. Plz help!

Ok, so my SO has claimed me as a dependent for past 4yrs since I havent worked and he pays all the house bills. so hes able to claim me as a dependent. I started going to school last yr. school gave me a loan and fafsa gave me school grant. I just got w2 from the school, am wondering now,
should I file those w2 ? Do i have to? will i even get anything back, because my SO has already claimed me and our kids. if i dont file, do i get introuble? how am i able to file them if I do? ist required to do so?
I knw am full of questions, but am just confused about this stuff.
I have not work in 3 1/2 yrs now, I am a full time student and full time SAHM.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • Are you married? Do you file jointly?

    Answer by tootoobusy at 4:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Talk to a tax professional.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • call the irs and see i think u can do an amended form next year they should be able to tell u

    Answer by cherylc1962 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • A W-2 is a form for income. I'm guessing the school didn't send you anything that says you earned income with them. They probably sent you something that showed you paid tuition, right? He can still claim you as a dependent, but yes, you still have to file that form. In fact, you could get more money back if you paid tuition since a good portion of it is tax deductible.

    Answer by SherriPie at 7:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • I think Sherri has the right idea on this. It might be worth it to file. And unless you worked for the school you shouldn't have gotten a w2 from them.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.