Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Tax filing question

Ok so my boyfriend and I have lived together for the last 5 months. I have a son from a previous relationship. I did some research and he can not claim my son and I as dependents because we did not live with him the entire 12 months of 2010, and therefore we are not qualifying dependents. My question is this. Since I meet the definition to file head of household, and my boyfriend meets the definition to file single, can this be done on two separate returns with the same address? I would file my tax returns claiming my son and head of household. He would file his own separate return, and his filing status would be single. This is correct?

My concern is because we would be submitting 2 separate returns with the same address. However since my son and I are not qualifying dependents, I see no way to file a joint return. Am I correct in the way its being done?

Anyone have any information on filing 2 separate returns from the same address? I can't find anything on this topic anywhere, it all relates to dependents and college kids, which isn't our scenario.


Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 19 (7,805 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Before my sister and her hub got married, they had to file seperately.  They lived at the same address, no problems there.  It didn't delay their checks and that's what their tax preparer told them to do.


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • I think it's okay. It shouldn't be a problem but I'd ask whoever's doing you taxes to be sure. When I was with my DS's dad we would file this way. I always claimed my son 'cause I made more, he would file his separately, and we lived at the same address. GL!

    Answer by myree85 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • All sorts of people have to file separately and still have the same address, children that are claimed as dependents and yet work,people in your situation, and many others.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Before my DH and I were married, we lived together and I had a son from my first marriage. I had a professional do my taxes. I filed Head of Household and claimed my son. My DH had filed single. We had the same address and it was not a problem.

    Answer by layh41407 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • "I would file my tax returns claiming my son and head of household. He would file his own separate return, and his filing status would be single."

    Yes file this way. Doesn't matter that the address is the same.

    Answer by elizabr at 5:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • I agree with the other posters. I think you'll be fine filing from the same address.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • Thanks ladies, I thought I had it right, but my dad made me nervous and he typically has more knowledge in these cases then me. And my boyfriend was no help cause he's never filed his own taxes, mama's boy :)

    Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • yes u r and dont matter if u have the same address u could change it to direct dep
    good luck

    Answer by cherylc1962 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

Next question in Money & Work
Cheapest State

Next question overall (Beauty & Style)
Pubic question, might be TMI adult content