Would you pay $30+ for a pair of shoes [for your preschooler]?

My daughter had two pairs of Robeez shoes when she first started walking. They were gifts from other people and I thought they were just adorable.

She's 4 now and I still like the company that makes them, but it seems that their cheapest sneaker is around $30! Considering how fast kids grow during their first ten years, is it really worth it to spend $30+ on a pair of shoes they're only going to wear for six months (tops)? Throw in the fact that she doesn't wear shoes often, and it's definitely not worth it.

When she starts school, I might consider purchasing these expensive shoes.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 5:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would. just buy them a little bit bigger. (not so big she cant walk in them, or they look too big) just so theres a tad bit of room to grow.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Well that's your personal choice and I see nothing wrong with cutting out some expenses where you can!  They are expensive enough as it is!  Personally I do buy expensive shoes for my kids but to each their own!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I will buy expensive school shoes sometimes , but if I can find something cheaper and just as durable, I will buy it first. Example, I really lovd the $50 Pumas for my daughter but they were having a sale on the Nikes so they were $20, I didn't feel like the extra $30 made sense.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Do you have a Pay Less Shoe Store, a KMart or a Target near you? Even Meijer has decent deals on shoes. The only time I paid that much was when my middle son had a EEE width & I HAD to get his shoes at a specialty shoe store. Save your $ now, b/c when they're older, they tend to want what's "IN". GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I recently paid $34 for some sneakers for my 3 year old son. He also has a pair of cowboy boots that cost more than $30. My 3 year old daughter doesn't currently have any shoes that cost more than $25, but she has more pairs of shoes in total than her brother. I buy quite a few shoes for them at Target that cost between $12 and $20 that hold up pretty well, but I've bought cheaper shoes other places that had to be replaced before they outgrew them. My kids wear shoes all day long every day during the week, so they do get plenty of use out of them.

For me, if $30 shoes are a lot cuter than $20 shoes, or if they're more durable, then I'm probably going to buy the ones that cost more. If the shoes are used for 6 months, then the additional cost was less than $2 per month, and if the $20 shoes wear out then I'll be replacing them and spending more in the long run.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I do buy my children good shoes (and that usually translates to quite a bit more than $30). It' because cheap shoes ruin their feet. I grew up wearing cheap shoes and have several foot problems because of it, and I don't want my children to deal with collapsed arches, plantar fascitis, etc. We buy most of the kids' shoes from Stride Rite.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yea, I would. They are better quality, I hate cheap shoes
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I like stride rite shoes. My daughter has always worn them. My mom has very bad feet. So I am afraid my daughter will also. I figure I would rather buy $30.00 + than a couple thousand in surgery.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 30 bucks, sure. I do look for good shoes on clearance, though, and have often gotten $40-50 shoes for less than 20.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Sure. But usually I don't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011