How many gifts make a good Christmas?

I think my family goes way over board. We end up with so many presents that we actually have to take breaks between opening them. Then there are always a few gifts that don't get played with because they get forgotten about, and there's also the issue that my kids don't take very good care of stuff because they have so much. I also have a huge family, I have 5 siblings, and my DH has 3, plus 2 sets of grandparents and everyone gets gifts for everyone else.
What's the right number of gifts? Do you just accept the chaos, or try to down size?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Just for Fun

• We buy our kids about 3 gifts each (3 kids) for Christmas. If others want to go overboard then that's their decision. They do end up with a lot but we also give a lot away to kids that can use toys.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• We give both our sons one present each under the tree, a gift for them to share and a family gift, plus stockings. We scaled back about 4 years ago. I'm really glad since times are alot tougher these days.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My mom used to go crazy with my brother and I. Problem was she never got us anything we wanted. She always spent around $500 on both of us, and the stuff we wanted would have only cost her around $30. So for my daughter, she is getting 2 play things and clothes plus a couple of small things for her stocking. It will stay that way.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I have 5 kidsand they are getting 15 for the 2 youngest and 30 for the oldest. Ialwaysask what they want and usually get it. My parentsand brother and sister can't afford to give them any presents so what they get from us is it. Plus the only other time they get toys is their birthday and get they get 1 toy(or whatever). Nothing else all year.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008