moms from big families or w/ older kids, please advise

the bunk bed we'd put a deposit down on is no longer available. So I am stuck now buying from the same company. We really like this one. I have NOT shown my kids the photo because I am 100% sure they'll say YES YES YES. I am not buying it unless I can be guaranteed at least 5 years out of it, minimum. It's a terrific quality so I am sure there will be a decent resale value. My son is currently 6 and in kindergarten. In 5 years he'll be 11 and in 5th grade. Will this still be cool then? How about age 12 and in 6th grade? When would this bed transition from being the envy of your friends to king of the nerd herd?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm 25 and I would sleep in that bed lol!
    My brother is 12 and he still sleeps in a bunk bed. He loves the top, even though he has his own room now he kept the bed.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My 11 year old says he would love it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't think you have to worry about him being the king of the nerd herd with that bed until at least age 13 or 14.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i had my kids (boy and a girl) share a room for quite a few years and they had bunk beds...they loved them! and so did there friends. twelve is definitely not too old.
    momagain27

Answer by momagain27 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My son is only 9 but I can honestly say he would LOVE that bed and so would all his friends.
    We just bought our girls bunk beds. They are just plain white metal, though. They are 10 and 8 and couldn't wait to show them off. They now have a blanket hanging from the side of the upper bunk to make the lower one private, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I would think your son would be happy with that bed until at least 11 or 12, but probably not much past that. We took down my daughter's bunk bed when she was 11, but she would have probably been happy with it for another year or two. I bought her a new more grown up bed at that point because she was losing her room to the twins and also her only child status.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 7:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If you want to compromise, buy a bunk bed that can be separated into two beds when the kids are done with bunks. My son and daughter have shared bunks for the past few years, and just today we broke them down into two singles for big sister and little sister to share (the older girl has always wanted the bottom bunk, and the littler girl is too small at age four to safely go up and down the ladder. My only concern about that bed is that, to my eyes, the safety rail on the top bunk looks very low. When my son was six or seven he fell over our safety rail and fell off the top and broke him arm- and our rail was a lot higher than that rail!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I tend to think it's a bit babyish for middle school, just my humble opinion, even though I like it and think it's a really cool kid. When my kids started 6th grade, everything changed and all of a sudden they wanted to be grown up and cool. But whatever, do what makes you happy, i do want to mention though that the top doesn't look safe. Even though there is a bar there, the mattress goes to the top of it, your child will be on the top of the mattress therefore having no protection from falling! Just wanted to point that out.
    Good luck.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• omg, the picture would help, right?

hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 11 is a good start, thank you. :) My husband I were both only children. Me especially is seriously struggling w/ things like this. Is it omg WOW or OMG what a lame babyish bed. Ditto for clothes, backpacks, etc. I was teased for being the fat kid and my husband was 6 feet tall before middle school so we don't exactly have positive social history to remember things by... I like to buy my kids really nice things and then take REALLY nice care of them and "flip them" to buy another nice new thing. I just actually made $$$ on their little tikes bouncer... 2 summers ago I got it on mega clearance for $120 and got 2 years use of it and sold it for $150. So investing in a fantastic bed makes sense for us "IF" i can figure out what is long lasting and age appropriate
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011