EPA Issues Regulations on Farmers Spilled Milk. Another Overreach?

We all understand why the Environmental Protection Agency was given the power to issue regulations to guard against oil spills, such as that of the Exxon Valdez in Alaska or the more recent BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. But not everyone understands that any power given to any bureaucracy for any purpose can be stretched far beyond that purpose.

In a classic example of this process, the EPA has decided that, since milk contains oil, it has the authority to force farmers to comply with new regulations to file “emergency management” plans to show how they will cope with spilled milk, how farmers will train “first responders” and build “containment facilities” if there is a flood of spilled milk.

Since there is no free lunch, all of this is going to cost the farmers both money and time that could be going into farming— and is likely to end up costing consumers higher prices for farm products.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Isn't milk made largely of water?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• OMG, but not suprised. They need to just be shut down, defunded.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i think its complete bullshyt. farmers have been doing this longer than the oil companies, have them teach exxon how to do their job instead.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 6:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have been trying to think up a clever "don't cry over spilled milk" joke but I can't get the wording down...
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't think asking for an emergency plan is that big of a deal. I can't imagine it would take that much time or energy considering most industries that deal in liquid have a plan for cleaning up spills.

I'm surprised it isn't part of most companies protocols anyway.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• By the way, OP, there is a problem with your info. I went to the EPA website to see what this ridiculousness was about and it is not about spilled milk at all. It is about regulating pipes and holding containers for milk in order to receive "Grade A Pasteurized" status. lol. It just happened to be in a form that was also talking about oil spills. The issue was not the exact requirements but the extension of the cpompliance dates. Check it out: http://www.epa.gov/oem/docs/oil/spcc/spcc_extfs.pdf

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• EPA is also delaying the compliance date to address SPCC milk and milk product containers,
    associated piping and appurtenances that are constructed according to the current applicable 3-A
    Sanitary Standards, and subject to the current applicable Grade ”A” Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO)
    or a State dairy regulatory requirement equivalent to the current applicable PMO. The delay is for one
    year from the effective date of a final rule specifically addressing SPCC requirements for these milk and
    milk product containers.

lol OP, best to check out the facts from those biased websites, or crazy emails.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Poor Steph and Carpy. Misinformation, just as under Stalin. Or was it an honest mistake ?
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Like I said.....get rid of the EPA. PBO has charged them with regulating us into Cap and Trade. He couldn't get the bill passed, so he is coming in the 'back door'. The EPA is a power hungry agency. Get rid of it!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/news/releases/2010/spill_initiative_10.21.10.html

Your article tells us nothing about what these regulations are, Who cares when they want them done by? The problem is the millons of dollars they want to spend on implementing the crazy farm regulations.

Oh please, you are telling me that you took all of this literally? I thought everyone knew milk didn't have oil in it. LOL
    The point is that its a waste of money and purely a power grab once again. How many oil spills do farmers have every year? I don't have that number but I doubt it's many. I know the majority of farmers use very little oil aside from what they might put in machinery and a farmer who leaks a quart of oil from some machine is not going to "turn himself in" I don't think it warrants the millions they want to use to teach farmers how to fill out a form online.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011