Public school vs Home School?

Which is better? Why? Should home schoolers be certified by the state, or not? Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My DD tried twice to home school her boys but, got frustrated with it. She's very bright but, she could keep up a schedule with it So, they r all in public school. HTH.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 6:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• both are good choices, and both can have bad teachers. yes, they should be state certified maybe not the same as teachers teaching 40+ kids a class but to their own standards of knowing the material and how to get the kids to do it and not goof off etc
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 6:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• it very much depends on the family. Both can be very good choices. The cert by the state is not helpful. Test score results from states that require a cert and those that don't do not show any difference in how the kids do academically

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't believe homeschooling should be an option unless there are educational special needs for the child. School teaches more than book smarts. It teaches tolerance, how to deal with bullies, relationship building and more. Homeschooling does not, even if the children are very socialized...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• It depends on the family. No, I do not believe a home school needs a teaching certificate. I am certified to teach a LARGE group of students with VARIOUS learning abilities. A home schooler is 1:1 or 1:3 with their child.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• home school parent***
    KairisMama

• I think that private school is best, followed by public school. I think there are rare instances where home-schooling is better for some kids, but I think that the majority of children NEED the socialization and structure that a school outside of the home provides. I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm sorry...I can't say that I always think private school is better...it just depends on the schools in your area. I just personally had a great experience with a private school.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• It really depends on the age of the children and yes any special needs involved (not including ADHD). Early years will be easy enough for the stay at home parent, but after elemen. there are developements in a child that are equally as important as book smarts. There is always going to be a positive and a negative to both homeschool and public school. Consider the needs of your child first. Especially, if you have teenagers.
    tornadotwinsx2

Answer by tornadotwinsx2 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Oh and if your a parent wanting to home school, certification is not that important....if you can't do it better or as good as the teacher, don't even consider it. For those that homeschool kids that are not their own....i'm a parent and can say for sure, you better be certified in something that lets me know you actually know what your doing.
    tornadotwinsx2

Answer by tornadotwinsx2 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011