Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

If I'm getting food stamps when my child is born will my baby father automatically go on child support???????????

My baby is due on next week and i get food stamps and my babies father say he will automatically go on child support while I'm on food stamps is that ture?????????

Answer Question

Asked by mekada100 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (21)
  • No,you have to take him to court for Child Support

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • No, if you get cash then they will take that money out of his check though

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • depends on if you gave the county the info on him and if the county has sued him for the support yet, but if he is living with you your going to have to put him on your case of its fraud and then he wont be on CS because he will be in the house supporting the child

    Answer by cara124 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • ask the social worker that is assigned to your food stamps account
    imo, yes if you ask, the county will go after him, since tex payer is paying for your food, county will want some funds from the father
    but call and make sure you have the correct paperwork filled out
    this will take longer than getting a lawyer and even longer than going to courthouse and filing the child support papers
    but i think yes, but make sure you call and let them know you want this to go through also

    Answer by fiatpax at 6:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • forot to add, the county will go after him for support but you also will have a court date for support
    but if you get food stamps, county will do some of this leg work for you

    Answer by fiatpax at 6:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Not automatically BUT the state will take him to court for child support, also if you are on state insurance he will have to pay the birth costs.

    Answer by skittles1108 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Some of the other answers are not true in all states/counties. Check with your local DSHS office.
    good luck!

    Answer by FatGirl239 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • Nope, you have to go after him for it.

    Answer by Misteh at 6:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • That is true, it does depend on where you live also

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

  • no, they dont need to know that unless you went for something else. I was going to go for a blood test one time through them and they said if i do, and he is proven to be the father, they automatically take child support from him. If you want it to be confident, you have to pay hundreds of dollars but that has nothing to do with food support

    Answer by americansugar80 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN