Healthy ways to season bland food?

So I've been digging out a lot of stuff from my freezer/cupboards recently, like whole wheat pasta, brown rice, vegetables, etc. It initially started as a chance to weed out, but then I started realizing how easy it was to cook myself a healthy meal if I just paid attention to the stuff I already have.

Here's my problem...

I have a huge array of spices, but I'm no good with seasoning a dish. I made myself some whole wheat pasta with vegetables earlier, and it was sooooo bland. I'm trying to avoid salt, so without knowing what else would taste okay, I just tossed in some cayenne pepper and called it good.

Suggestions? I'm really happy that it's so easy for me to eat healthy lately, but I need good ideas for spicing it up!

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 6:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I can't eat salt or pepper so have to be creative. I use crushed red peppers, garlic powder and sometimes simmer food in jalapeno pepper juice. I hear lemon juice is good to use to season but it's not my thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Boil the pasta in chicken broth. Use herbs

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Mrs. Dash brands of seasoning contain no salt (I dunno about all of them but there are many) I add onions to just about everything. Garlic is good too. You really just have to experiment and learn what you like though because people vary alot on what they like. GL and have fun with it!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Lemon Pepper is good on just about any vegetable. I never cook anything without adding onion powder and garlic powder. I use oregano and basil and rosemary for most italian dishes. Curry for most creamy chicken casseroles and soup dishes. Broth or bouillon for beef or chicken stews and such. Do a google search for spice uses and I'm sure there is a chart out there that will help.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 7:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• You can also make your own broth using carrots, celery, onion and garlic cloves then add some seasoning. I love to use cilantro.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• tarragon, oregano, cheyenne pepper, cumin and rosemary are all very flavorful and are all staples in my house. I also use a lot of garlic and onion. I don't like using salt either. So I got really into herbs. I actually part prefer them.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 7:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I really appreciate all of the suggestions!
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I love garlic, cumin, cilantro, rosemary......I have tons of spices, but those are my faves. Also, I use lemons and limes a lot to flavor meat to avoid sodium and extra fats.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• When I make pasta or rice I cook with it in low sodium chicken broth rather than water, that adds a nice flavor.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2011